Savegre or Pacuare rafting trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to do one rafting trip while in Costa Rica with my 13 year old son. Which would be more exciting? Staying in Manuel Antonio and San Jose.Only two nights in San Jose so don't know if we should do Poas trip instead and raft Savegre or Naranjo. Also wonder since travelling April 8th - 15th do we need to reserve tours ahead. (Easter vacation) Please advise. Thanks!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:21 AM

Nightread - I have run across your question a few times and it seems you are not getting an answer. I think this may be due to the fact that many have not done both of the rafting trips that you are requesting.

Nor have I. But I noticed one that said you wanted the excitement of the rapids, based on that, I am going to say do the Pacuare Rafting. Since you are travling in April, which is near the end of dry season, chances are that many of the rivers will not be as active, however my thinking is that Pacuare will still give you the excitement.

And of course you could do both!!

Possibly you could look at www.riostropicales.com and contact them with your questions. This is an excellent outfit with consistent good reviews for your rafting adventure.

As for booking ahead, if you choose to raft on that last day, I would certainly book ahead, simply because it is the only day available for you and your son. Other tours you may be able to book from your hotel, but this will be a very busy times since Costa Ricans will also be on break.

As for time to see Poas. You say you only have a day and a half. I assume the half is the day that you fly home? If so what time is your flight? Where are you staying? Maybe you still have time!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:34 AM

Our family of 5 (kids ages 17,14 & 10 yrs) did a 1/2 day rafting trip out of Quepos. Our kids still talk about it. Each boat guide had a better personality than the next. Our family would do it again! We went December vacation and reserved it the day before. The tours do fill up!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! We are staying in San Jose at The Presidente and our flight out is around 7pm. Do you think we can we do Poas in the early morning and get back by 2pm?
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:09 AM

Certainly Nightread! You will want to visit Poas early in the morning.

You will need to be at SJO around 4:30-5:00. So this truly gives you most of the day.

Actually you can probably go to Poas and La Paz Waterfall Gardens.

Can't remember - are you driving or taking a tour or hiring a driver for the day? If taking a predesigned tour just be careful to understand what time it gets back. If hiring a driver, you can actually arrange for him to drop you back at the airport. If driving yourself, obviously get excellent directions and allow extra time for dropping the vehicle.

Poas is just over an hour from SJO, a bit further maybe 30 mins depending on traffic from downtown.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks dfarmer, I won't have a car. Good point about a tour's return time. Might be better to hire a driver, but do they wait while you explore the volcano? Any advise
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:22 AM

Our experience with a driver, is that they go with you and also act as a guide.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Can the hotel help you arrange for a driver or do you do it yourself?