day trip or overnight in Sarapiqui Selva Verde

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling with 3 kids (9,11,14) Should we stay overnight in Sarapiqui or is the visit/float on the Highlight tour enough. So few nights (8) and so much to see!
We are also going to MA & Arenal
Thanks - Doreen
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:28 PM

You can get a good feel for the area with your lunch at Selva Verde and the leisurely jungle cruise on the Rio Sarapiqui (along with a few minutes for shopping in PVdS. When I did this tour, I loved it as it was a very full day packed full of beauty, wonder, fun, good Costa Rican food, and amazing information. That was 2 years ago.

This past summer, we revisited the area and enjoyed a couple of guided tours of La Selva Biological Station. Fascinating. There is always more to do whenever you have the time to do it. But for one day, the Highlights Tour is top notch! It is enough and you'll enjoy every minute.

I think your children will be well entertained and amazed as well. It is a very kid friendly activity. They'll also sleep very well that night, as will you! Enjoy!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

I have 3 nts in Arenal& 3 nts in MA and the travel agent is really pushing me to take a night away from one or both of those for Sarapiqui instead of the highlight tours. Would the kids enjoy the biological station and/or hike the private reserve as much as us adults.
Thanks,
sorry for being a pain
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:51 PM

You're not a pain--you're a good planner! I'm unclear as to how you could gain a day in the Sarapiqui area by staying there just one night. You would get there and have to leave the next day. You might have half a day, which would not be worth it, in my opinion.

But yes, the La Selva guided hike is just excellent--tons of information that I would your kids would absolutely be captivated by. Ours would have been at that age. And you COULD stay overnight just for that. It would be over by 11:00 or so. I guess then you would move on to your next location?

The thing about the Highlights Tour is that the guiding is also excellent and you get more of a smattering of all kinds of places rather than the concentrated La Selva experience. Breakfast at the coffee plantation, early morning view of Poas Volcano and hike, hummingbird gallery and snack stop, a stop on the highway to view the La Paz fall that is just above the road, lunch at Selva Verde, the jungle cruise on the Rio Sarapiqui (the kids will see caimans), shopping in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, returning to San Jose through the very scenic Braulio Carillo Parque Nacional area.

Can you offer more info regarding her suggested itinerary? If you chose the Highlights Tour instead, when would you do that? I may have missed something!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Here it goes with the kids....
My plan A
4/16 arrive SJO 1pm - to Arenal for 3 nts
4/19 head to Manuel Antonio for 3 nts via the Villablanca new zip line
4/22 head back to SJO for 2 nts via Carara
4/23 highlight tour
4/24 early am flight home
OR plan B
4/16 arrive SJO 1pm - head to Poas Volcano Lodge - hopefully do Poas/Lapaz
4/17 am to Sarapiqui for float/hike - 1 nt (she actually wants me to do 2 nts and 2 nts in Arenal & MA)
4/18 head to Arenal for 2 nights
4/20 head to MA for 3 nts via Villablanca new zip line
4/23 back to SJO via Carara
4/24 early am home

You sound like you really know Costa Rica and I want to hopefully do the right thing. Any thoughts on the 2 itineraries. Don't care to much about the beach, but was told not to miss MA.
Thanks - Doreen
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 09:39 AM

You know, I think I'd stay with Plan A. It would involve a lot less hassle and moving around and will provide you with just as good as experience.

No way you can arrive at 1:00 and see Poas and La Paz both that day. Poas has to be (almost always) an early a.m. activity because the clouds come in and cover the crater. It would be pretty dicey even to have time for La Paz that day, by the time you get through all the details of arriving, transferring, checking in, etc.

You could alter things a bit by staying the first night at Poas Volcano Lodge, seeing Poas early the next morning (and La Paz), then traveling on to Arenal for 2 nights, followed by MA for 3 nights (definitely wouldn't cut a night from Manuel Antonio).

Poas Volcano Lodge has gotten some good reviews. We haven't stayed there, but we have been there. It's a neat little place. Plus, I think you would appreciate the opportunity to enjoy both Poas and La Paz. However, if you end up scratching those locations in favor of 3 nights at Arenal, do try to pick up the full day Cano Negro tour while you are there.

As you know, you have a lot of options. But it just doesn't seem like your best option to break the trip up the way she is encouraging you to do. If you follow Plan A with the first night at Poas Volcano Lodge, you will have an itinerary that will allow you an extraordinary amount of experiences with the time that you have--hopefully without feeling rushed. Good luck!

Anyone else? What do you think?
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Getting closer, If I stay with plan A, I wouldn't necessarily have to stay at Poas Lodge the first night because I would see Poas on the highlight tour the last day. Only thing I would miss would be walking Lapaz - because I think the tour sees it from roadside!
Doreen
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Yes, you are right. I overlooked that. Actually, the tour sees just one of the falls (the one nearest the road). The entire property is pretty amazing and would be worth a visit.

But true, you might consider the extra day at Arenal better worth your time.
There is certainly enough to do there to keep you occupied for 3 days and allow some good leisure time as well. Of course, anytime you can stay fewer places and make fewer transfers, it will simplify your travels, and that is always nice!

I'm still voting for Plan A--no matter how you do the front end of it! It is going to be so much fun for you guys to experience Costa Rica with your children. I just know you'll have a wonderful time!