Santiago to Valparaiso, Chile

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Art

Santiago to Valparaiso, Chile

I will be arriving in Santiago by air to go on a cruise which leaves from Valparaiso on Sunday 10 am and have till 3pm to get there. There will be 4 of us and Luggage ( a lot) since the cruise is 2 Weeks. I see where people have mentioned the bus route and it's cost but what is the availablity of hiring a taxi or driver with a station wagon,van or a vehicle large enough. And What would it cost to go to the Ship?
Is there any way to take a tour of Santiago and the immediate area and then wind up in Valparaiso? None of the four speak Spanish.Please Help! Thank you.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:02 PM
Judy

We are doing the same thing - sailing on the Celebrity Mercury March 3rd. However, we will be spending 2 nights in Santiago prior to the cruise. Apparently, Celebrity Cruises has a service directly from the airport to the docks (for a fee, of course). Are you on a Celebrity ship? Contact your cruise company. I'm sure they all have this service. I'd appreciate any commments re your cruise shore excursions etc when you get home.Have fun!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Art

I read your post on fodors.com and I did contact my curise line NCL and they
wanted a $100 per person to make the trip. I booked a New air-conditioned
Van for 4 people and luggage for a 2 week curise for the trip to Valperaiso
for $88 for the whole trip. I won't be able to tell you how I make out
because I will not be back till 3/4/02. Check out
www.lys.cl or e-mail [email protected]
Good Luck, and have a great trip. Art

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Meg

We made the same trip a couple of weeks ago (Princess Cruises). We ended up booking a tour with a local tour company that left us in Valparaiso. (I don't remember the name of the tour company, but the hotel can help you.) They offered a tour of Valparaiso and Vina del Mar for $40 pp. They picked us up at our hotel in Santiago (we were at the Marriott) and took us and all of our luggage. We first went to Valparaiso, toured the town, and then they just dropped us off at the cruise ship. Very convenient. The rest of the tour continued to Vina del Mar. We had taken a tour of Santiago with this group and talked to them about the arrangements then. They were used to doing this type of thing. We enjoyed it, felt we got our money's worth. The Marriott was going to charge us $100 for both of us for a driver to take us to Val. No tour.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Chiledrivers

Traveling to Chile in the next year? Well, no trip to Chile is complete without a visit to the beautiful coastline of Vina Del Mar and Valparaiso, only an hour and a half from Santiago. At “ChileDrivers” we will supply you with a vehicle, and more importantly, a trained, experienced, locally-based English-speaking driver to take you to the best beaches, sites, and restaurants in the Vina Del Mar area on your “day(s) out at the coast.” The price is reasonable and with advance notice special arrangements and modifications tailored for your individual needs, including lodging, can be arranged. Contact us at [email protected] for the finest in affordable and personal transportation in the Vina Del Mar area on your first (or next) vacation in Chile.