Rio suggestions

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:46 PM
GS

Rio suggestions

My husband and I are considering going to Rio the end of August or beginning of September. Is that a good time? What is a nice place to stay on the beach or within walking distance? What are some things we must see and do for our first time? Is San Paulo a good choice for a day trip? Ideas on what we can see and do? Thanks.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:12 AM
Evelyn

Hello!

I am a german girl and a frequently Brazil traveller, have been there 14 times.My favourite city is Rio de Janeiro, so maybe I can help you??

Well, as you told you would like to go to Rio in August or September the weather there is fine, about 18°C (the minimum) and 26°C (maximum).
I would recommend you not to stay in any hotel in front of the beach, ..normally they are more expensive.
In Rio they have also a lot of hotels (Copacabana , Ipanema, Leblon)which are a few blocks away, but there are all in walking distance.
I would like you to write me an E Mail, cause I can better recommend you some hotels like that...!

If you are interested in having advice in "must sees", safety, night-clubs, public-transportation, etc...please feel free to ask!

I would say that Sao Paulo is not a good idea for a day trip, because the bus-drive from Rio to there takes 6 hours (even with a car it would take that), ..so if you really want to see Sao Paulo I think you would have to plan to stay there for about 2-3 days!

Hoping to hear from you!

Greetings
Evelyn
[email protected]

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:57 AM
Erin

Translation for anyone who needs it:

According to Evelyn, the summer Rio temperature range is 64F (18c) to 79F (26c)

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:48 PM
RFS

I have been to both Rio and Sao Paulo around a dozen times. I cannot imagine voluntarily leaving the beauty of Rio to spend a day in the overcrowded, overrun commercial center that Sao Paulo is. You'd be better finding out about some ocean-front towns for a day trip from Rio, to enjoy a less-crowded and more tranquil style of life. The most beautiful hotel in Rio is the Copacabana Palace, but it's expensive. The Caesar Palace is nice, and if you want to be in a less congested area, with a semi-private beach, consider the Sheraton (although it's away from the Copa/Ipanema area). Highly rated restaurants that are very good include Mariu's (barbecued meats) and Antiquarius (traditional Portuguese).

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Tania

Hi ! Sao Paulo is like New York, a cosmopolitan city not touristic, very big, with good restaraunts, bars and good malls for shopping, but it is spread out...so I guess only 1 day is not enough to cover the distances and to deal with the huge traffic here.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Jill

For first timers to Rio, I highly suggest staying in Ipanema. Good choices on the beach are Caesar Park Hotel - 5 stars, Praia Ipanema Hotel - 4 stars. Things to see and do: Corcovado - Christ Statue (don't do this if it is cloudy or rainy), Sugarloaf Mountain, Day trip to Petropolis, Historic City Tour with a visit to Santa Teresa, Samba School Rehearsal, Soccer Game at Maracana, Tropical Islands Tour, Shopping on Rua Visconde de Piraja in Ipanema...
Just a few suggestions...feel free to e-mail for more info. Jill

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Wynette

Thank you all for posting this valuable information.

I will be traveling to Brazil for my fist time. Goint to Salvador, then on 2/8/02 will be heading to Rio for carnaval. Got myself in the Salguiero School and will be parading. It has been a life long dream. I also plan to stay for 1 week after the carnaval so i may visit all the must visit places.

All information posted will be greatly appreciated!

Obrigada!