Sandflies

Sep 16th, 2001, 05:35 AM
Lene

Sandflies

Hi! We are thinking of going to Ixtapa this winter. We have been to Puerto Vallarta where there were sandflies and Huatulco where there were none. What about Ixtapa? Are there any sandflies (I don't know what they are called) there? Thank you for your help.

Sep 16th, 2001, 11:58 AM
El Gordo

'Jeje'nes'-Hay-HAY-Ness is the name of those sneaky little so and so's.
And the answer is-it depends.
It depends on the relative humidity at the time the more humid it is the more likely it is you'll be tormented.
I've been in Zihuatanejo in February and never seen a one and the next trip they were everywhere.
I always bring one pair of lightweight long pants and cotton socks just in case, to wear in the evenings.

Sep 16th, 2001, 12:40 PM
el;liott norris

do not feel like the lone ranger. when i was in antua 10 years ago i received over 40 bites in one night. my room was not ssprayed before i entered.

those no-see-ums come out at dusk just like mosquitoes here

Sep 18th, 2001, 02:55 PM
keith

Don't scratch! Not even a little bit. It only intensifies the histamine effect. If you don't scratch the itching goes away in about 20 minutes. Also, avoid open shade, and wear those socks in the evenings.

Sep 24th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Cory

does anyone know if those little buggers are a problem in Cancun? I remember how nasty they were in PV...