Sand Fleas - Belize & Roatan

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sand Fleas - Belize & Roatan

I am a beach lover. Have heard that sand fleas are really bad in Belize & Roatan. Don't want to have to douse myself in repellent to lie on the beach. Any truth to these fleas!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:05 PM

Yes! We spent two weeks in February in Roatan, Fantasy Island Resort and the sand fleas are enough to ruin your vacation if you don't prepare yourself properly.
Simply bring plenty of Cactus Juice (you can buy it on the island as well in any of the stores or hotel gift shops), and apply before you leave your room in the morning. It's spf 20 lotion and repellent in one, has a pleasant smell and works!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:06 AM

Belize-Sand flys are present certain times of the year after rain and when the wind dies down. When and where do you plan to visit?
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 08:47 AM

Just returned from five days on Ambergris Caye. No bugs. Not one, at least none that bit us.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Hi Two Cats -- we are looking at a pretty good deal at Fantasy Island on Roatan and we are wondering what you thought of the place. Looks pretty basic but what did you think overall?

Thanks,
P&M
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi Katie:

We plan to go to Belize in February (Ambergris Caye, Placentia, and South Water Caye). Do you think this will be a problem this time of year?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:26 AM

Feb is two months into the dry season, no reason for them to be breeding profusely. You might get some sand flies at dusk and dawn for about 30 mins in some places. All beach spots-no plans to visit the mainland other than the Placencia peninsula?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Sand flies do tend to be a problem after 3-4:00 PM in Belize and Roatan but also many other Western Caribbean Islands. Preparation does 90% of the trick but we tended to leave the beach at 3:30 or so not to have the annoyance.

In Roatan we found areas where mosquitos were a MAJOR problem in May and again in June. Some bites the size of a quarter.

You need Ben's 90% DEET not just spray-OFF with 30% DEET. Don't forget under your shirt-front and back. I forgot onc day and had 40+ bites.
As to Fantasy Island, we stayed at Anthony's Key Resort twice and only visited Fantacy for lunch. We thought the upgraded Anthony's Key (done in 2004) was much nicer although it is a bit more expensive. If I judge the 1 lunch at Fantasy vs. Anthony's Key I thought the food was better at Anthony's Key.

In Belize you might want to look at Lighthouse Reef Resort if you are a diver.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:22 PM

I don't remember a problem on Ambergis Caye. The highlight of our trip was an overnight boat trip to the Blue Hole where we snorkeled. We have been to Autrallia to snorkel and the Blue Hole tops even the Great Barrier Reef in my opinion. We camped the first night on an island and arrived at the Blue Hole the next day as I recall. We weren't there long enough before it was time to return. I highly recommend the experience.