Search

San Pedro Ambergris Caye, Belize OR Roatan, Honduras

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Pedro Ambergris Caye, Belize OR Roatan, Honduras

Help!

I've never been to either of these places and I'd love to get feedback on the pros/cons for each island! Some things I'd like to consider:

-Beaches/swimming
-Where to stay (area)
-Transportation (around island and to the island itself)
-Diving (which one is better/where to see whale sharks)
-Interesting/fun land activities offered
-Food (good/bad/price)
-Restaurant/bars (vicinity)

Thanks!!!
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:23 AM

I'm only familiar with Ambergris, here's a few thoughts. From researching and reading, I think the beaches/swimming are better on Roatan. Also, there is snorkeling from shore, which is a rare occurrence on Ambergris.

Ambergris has a large selection of places to stay, from budget to very high end. It appears Roatan does as well.

Ambergris is much smaller. You either get around on foot, bicycles, golf carts, water taxi. I think car rentals on Roatan.

You don't hear much about whale shark sightings on Ambergris. During the late spring/early summer, there is whale shark diving off the coast of southern Belize, around Placencia.

Food on Ambergris is awesome, everything from excellent and cheap street food to high end restaurants.

Lots of fun bars with live music on Ambergris.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:53 AM

Fairly similiar to each other, though Roatan is more of a Creole culture and Ambergris more Mestizo, but both English speaking, great reef, Ambergris closer to mainland day trips for Maya temples, caves and other jungle trips. Whale sharks congregate off Placencia during certain times of the yr, but are migratory in the Bayof Amatique often. A whale shark was spotted off Placencia on New Years day, but that is a rare occurance this time of year, but only means they are in our waters year round, but not in high density
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Okay, so from what I've gathered, the beaches and off shore snorkeling are much better in Roatan. Roatan we would most likely need a vehicle, whereas Ambergris we could get by with biking or a gold cart. Also, could one assume the nightlife (nothing crazy, but things to do after dark) is overall better on Ambergris?? Geesh, this isn't an easy decision!!!
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Before we went to Belize, I had read a few posts about the beaches that made me nervous, but where we stayed, the beach was beautiful with amazing soft, white sand, palm trees, and pretty water. There was sea grass in the water though, so we did snorkeling via a quick boat ride. The snorkeling was amazing. Lots of restaurants, etc. in town. Our hotel had golf carts you could rent and bikes you could use. Have not been to Roatan but always hear good things.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Volcano girl,

How much did the boat rides out to the reef run you? Also, do you have any recommendations on which side of the island to stay? Thanks!!
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:41 PM

I'm not Volcano girl, but, the snorkeling tours to the reef are about US$35.00 a person.

I'm a person who wants lots of dining/drinking options, so I would stay south of town.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 06:18 PM

Yes, I'm with Jean. We wanted to stay south of town as well. We stayed at Victoria House, but there are lots of good options.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 09:41 AM

Spend some time on gmaps and you tube, a picture is worth a thousand words. Diving is overall better on AC. The reef is about 2 thousand feet offshore at San Pedro so you just kayak out and use a tie up. The reef is easier to get to on Roatan for snorkeling but there are atolls and the blue hole to dive from san pedro/AC. San Pedro is closer to the mainland for jungle type avtivities. you wont see any ruins on Roatan but you can get to them fairly easily from AC. You wont regret either destination and probably should plan trips to both.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Could one assume the there are as many dining/drinking option on Roatan as on AC???
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:05 AM

Probably many more on Roatan but more spread out too.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:35 AM

AC has lots, lots of restaurants with nice views too. I like that the town is so walkable. Wild Mangos is a yummy spot. If you're up for homemade ice cream and custard, check out D & E's.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 11:40 AM

Is diving in the blue hole as spectacular as advertised? Happy New Year Katz.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 12:22 PM

Thanks SS and Happy Festivus back atcha. Some love the Hole and some dont. Look at it on youtube to decide for oneself.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 08:24 AM

When are you thinking of going - I can give you some great info on Roatan