Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

San Miguel, Puebla, Toluca: Two Week Itenerary - HELP NEEDED

Old May 16th, 2002, 04:55 PM
M'lle

We have been to Mexico on one other occassion (Oaxaca & San Christobal) and have selected Guanajuata, San Miguel, Toluca and Puebla for our major destinations for our next two weeks this summer. Here are our questions:

a) Will we find the zocolo experience that we found in Oaxaca at any of these? We loved the people watching, the mariachis music, the crafts and the children. If our list of destinations will not give us this, any other suggestions?

b) We like to go off the beaten path to visit small villages and hidden artisans. Any recommendations for these areas?

c) Accomodations: Is it fairly easy to vacancies in these cities in late June/July? On our previous trip, we were tied down by reservations made early that were not necessary and were much more expensive than many other decent places that had vacancies. How about suggestions for moderately priced clean places for any ofour destinations?

d) Timing and getting there is always a problem for us. We have a difficult time deciding how long to stay in any one place and how to get from one place to another. Keep in mind that we don't speak Spanish well at all, so we need travel options that do not require too much negotiating. What would your schedule look like?

Thanks for stopping to read this and for any suggestions you might offer.

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Jean Valjean

You will probably find the zocalo experience in Puebla, San Miguel and Guanajuato. I am not so sure about Toluca. Why are you going there? Have you looked at Queretaro? I think it is much nicer, and there are several little towns around like Bernal or (maybe I'll get this wrong) Tequesquitengo.

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Raul

don´t waste your time in Toluca it is not nice at all. You should go to Puebla and visit several town there like Cholula, Tecali. Puebla has many treasures and is a great place for fine mexican crafts. Guanajuato , San Miguel and Queretaro would be good places to go to. Do not make reservations that early since it is not needed, with 24 hours anticipation there should not be any problems.

Have a great trip

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Jean Valjean

If you discard Toluca and include, say, Queretaro, maybe you can do everything by car. Most drives will be 3 hours max.

Are you arriving in Mexico City? Then go to Puebla (south-east). After Puebla, go to Queretaro, then to Guanajuato and San Miguel. Try to drive through Mexico city on a weekend. That will be good for your mental health.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Jean Valjean

If you discard Toluca and include, say, Queretaro, maybe you can do everything by car. Most drives will be 3 hours max.

Are you arriving in Mexico City? Then go to Puebla (south-east). After Puebla, go to Queretaro, then to Guanajuato and San Miguel. Try to drive through Mexico city on a weekend. That will be good for your mental health. Otherwise, you might just go crazy with the traffic!

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:12 PM
McH

M'lle

I would like to add my opinion to this thread voice: do not go to Toluca. I do not have anything against this city, I have a lot of friends there, but if I were to be doing my 2nd trip to Mexico I would not bother visiting it.

Definitely include Mexico City, Puebala, Guanajuato, San Miguel and Queretaro. In many of them you can find smaller towns around, as those suggested previously.

Good luck,

McH

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:43 PM
M'lle

A CORRECTION TO POSTING:
Thanks, all, for your suggestions. They are much appreciated. TALUCA was intended to be TAXCO.

Old May 21st, 2002, 03:38 PM
Esther

Agree with the above advice. PUEBLA (3days) great zocalo enviornment (2hrs from Mexico City) Great food (similar to Oaxaca) . Cholula 15 min. drive has the most number of domes in a small town. GUANAJUATO (3days) very similar to Oaxaca (pedestrain streets), San Miguel de Allende (2days) (excellent Mexican atmosphere, might be a bit expensive as it is a huge tourist atraction, specialy after Julia Roberts and Brad Pitts movie "The Mexican"), TAXCO (2days) great small town (some local tourists during weekends).

No need to book in advance, there will always be a small hotel which will have rooms at a great price, unless traveling on a holiday, but summer is not as busy as easter, or christmas, or any national holiday.

Another great state with many villages is Veracruz, great food, lots of music in the zocalo, great people, etc. Pazcuaro, Tlacotlalpan, Catemaco, Papantla, are great plcaes to visit.

Michoacan is also a great state to visit, great food and people. Morelos its capital is very nice but the surroounding villages are great Patzcuaro, Zitacuaro, Parangaricutirimicuaro, etc.