Search

San Antonio de Areco

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio de Areco

Has anyone taken the one day trip to San Antonio de Areco with Wow Argentina? I'm looking for day trips out of buenos aires (we'll be there in July) and was wondering if that's worth our while to go - many thanks for any info -
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:55 AM

I have taken several trips with WOW....great group to work with.

I just recently took a day trip to San Antonio de Areco.....but with another group, not WOW.

San Antonio is worth the trip if you want to gain some insight into rural Gaucho life in contrast to the way Portenos live. There are two museums worth visiting, a nice Colonial church on the town square, and several estancias that receive tourists for the day....all in all, a good way to spend the day....the silver museum and workshop in town was fascinating, and the estancia provided a great asado and show.....
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Can you tell me what company you used? Wow aregentina doesn't offer the one day trip there anymore -- thank you in advance
Old May 25th, 2004, 03:05 PM

In this web you can find the 100 ranches that can be visited in Argentina.
http://www.estanciastravel.com
Ask Mrs. Noceti about the transfer
some of the ranches have the transfers organized and included in the prices.

Particularly in San Antonio de Areco people recommend:
Estancia El Ombú de Areco
maybe because the owner is a European lady

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:44 PM
elr

hi, this is the third forum that I've used to post this question, and I've gotten no answers....it's either a hard one, or no one is listening....anyway the guidebooks make San Antonio de Areco sound incredibly appealing, and I wonder if anyone's been there...also, I won't be arriving in BsAs until Nov. 11, which I think puts me smack in the middle of the Dia de la Tradicion there, however, I'm unable to find the exact dates for the festival for this year. Massive googling has turned up nothing.

Does anyone know the dates for 2005? Has anyone been in the past...if so, is it a cheesy tourist extravaganza, or a more or less authentic celebration of gaucho culture?

Finally, has anyone been to the estancias in the area?

Thanks for any answers!

ciao, Ellen

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 09:47 AM
dona

We drove from BsAs to San Antonio de Areco--less than a 2 hour drive. We stayed 2 nights at laBamba and enjoyed it. The have a swimming pool and horseback riding. We drove into the town one afternoon and it was a lovely small town. Enjoyed seeing the sites and walking about. Can't imagine spening more than a day in San Antonia de Areco. We drove from LaBamba to another estancia, Santa Rita. the drive was rather boring and I wouldn't recommend staying a the estancia -- much like a large hotel/resort.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 06:52 AM

For the ones who are interested in San Antonio de Areco.

The most traditional estancias there are 4: (maybe there are more but not open to the public)

LA BAMBA where the owners still live.
The same family has a similar place in Mendoza, Los Alamos.

EL OMBU DE ARECO which was bought by a German lady and runs it beautifully.

LA PORTEÑA who belonged to a very traditional family connected to the history of San Antonio de Areco.

The last one EL ROSARIO DE ARECO I cant say much about it, never been there. People say it is also a very nice place to stay for a day.

Horses in the 4 places are good for people who know how to ride.

There is also one place CINA CINA which offers the fiesta gaucha. Not a traditional estancia, something smaller and simpler The fiesta gaucha shows tourists a day full of folk music and horses. Cina Cina has no acommodation. They are working on it.

For the ones who cannot afford paying the 24 hs stay at the estancias, there are small and cozy places in the same city.

The city is worth a visit and it is a shame that being so near people dont make it.
Draghi a place where they work silver, painters ateliers, and workshops will give tourists an idea of the cultural patrimony

There are buses that take people there
but then you need to hire a cab to get to the estancias. That would be the cheapest way to get there, though a bit diff. for the ones who dont speak Spanish

From Buenos Aires there is a posibility of hiring a car that works with the estancia directly, generally it is an expensive way to go, but good if you are a group of 4.

Tourists can simply contact some agencies that have everything organized so they will be picked up at the hotel in big buses or small vans. There the price includes everything.

A good stay is the one of 1 night and 2 days. One to visit the city, to eat in the small restaurants and to buy leather stuff. The other to relax in the comfort of an estancia.

good luck.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:20 PM

We just got back from a two-week tour to Chile and Argentina and we stayed for two nights at El Ombu de Areco. It was one of the high points of our trip. They have lots of activities, with horseback riding, hiking, and cultural presentations. I saw more birds there than I have in many trips which concentrated on birding. The food was great, with a traditional barbecue. We spent one afternoon in San Antonio de Areco, which is an extremely nice small town with some interesting museums. I would highly recommend the experience.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 07:15 AM
elr

I want to thank everyone who replied to my query....I'm off to google all the estancias, etc. now.....