Samara

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Samara

Okay guys, I need help too. Have been shying away from the Nicoya (Tamarindo/Samara) area because of the age thing. Have heard that it is mostly 20 somethings. Been there done that grew up. Although I get along fine with people that age, I don't need the night life anymore.
I am really thinking about a little time in Samara this year after my husband leaves because it looks like a nice little town and the beach looks pretty user friendly. Figure there will be less nightlife going on there although there have been quite a few references to thong bikinis on some of my info searches.
My worry is that what few places there are will be over run by younger people looking for fun. I am just looking for a quiet place to wander the beach. As most of you know I spend a lot of time on the Osa where it is really quiet. Thoughts? Suggestions on place to stay?
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 09:33 AM
LAG

Suzie. Continue SE from Samara. Go past Playa Carrillo, up the hill to Carrillo. There is a variety of very decent lodgings. Look around, particulary to the left side of the main road. One row back there a several good spots. There are several very good resturaunts as well. Try the Colibri. Excellent fresh BBQ most every night..beef, fish, chicken...your choice. The town is "off the beaten track." You can walk to the playa in about 10 minutes.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

This sounds really good. Is there a way to get ahold of the Colibri ahead of time? Couldn't find a web site. How about getting to and from the airport? Don't mind walking a little ways. I travel light but if a ride/taxi is available I would take it.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 01:08 PM
LAG

Suzie2. Colibri means Humming Bird. I have their business card hidden somewhere in my pile of stuff. I'll find it. The Colibri also has very decent rooms. Large, clean, some with small kitchens. When you go up the hill, just about through Carrillo, the Colibri is on the left, down an auto path. Another nice place is just before the lefthand turn for the Calibri. Turn right, towards the ocean, down a more substantial auto path...it is actually a real road, but unpaved. Look or ask for Joy's Haven. It has a samll little home with bed, bath and kitchen and a porch with a thatched roof to enjoy your meals or a drink under. You can fly into the airport on Playa Carrillo. The walk is about 20 - 30 minutes if you are travelling lite. All up hill !! The Carrillo beach is "hermosa," white sand, great view, one french fry wagon... The beach at Carrillo is pratically empty most of the time. Fills up a little on weekends. I'll attach the e-mail later today when I find it.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 12:22 PM
LAG

Suzie2. Lo siento.[sorry]. I couldn't locate the e-mail for Coribri, but I did find their phone number. 1.506.656.0656. Ask for Roxanne, Fernando or Sabastian.
The GUANAMAR is another large, more expensive hotel. You'll find it on the net.

good luck.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! You have been a tremendous help.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

ttt
any second opinions??
If I fly into Playa Carrillo how far is it to walk to Samara? Am also thinking bus to Samara and possibly walking to PC. any ideas on the best way to get there?
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 06:38 AM

I can't help with the best way to get there as we always have a car, but I'm sure the bus would be fine.....also can't help with the time walking between the two, but I did want to say that since I know your a big Osa lover, Samara and Carrillo will be great for you. I remember the first time we flew to Nosara. We had to stop in Samara to let a couple off. The landing strip was right on a beautiful palm lined beach and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Unfortunately, no surf there so we continued on to Nosara.
Anyway, neither Samara or Carrillo cater to the younger crowd, except in the way of families with small children because the beach is as you say, 'user' friendly. And it's nothing at all like the bustle of Tamarindo. It's a quiet, beautiful area and I think you would enjoy staying at Samara or Carrillo, although Carrillo is smaller. It's harder to find info on Carrillo as it's just not heavily traveled. Have you seen this web site?

http://www.letsgo.com/CORI/08-NicoyaPensinsula-449
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ally, it sounds like just what I am looking for. After 2 weeks of hiking non stop with my husband I always look forward to some quiet time on the beach after he leaves. We will still be getting some Osa time in though at Bosque again.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:59 AM

I'm looking forward to my next trip in May! Taking my twin sister with us and she's never been so we'll be going back up to La Fortuna so she can (hopefully) see Arenal, and then some beach time. I can't wait to share this trip with her!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Double trouble!!!
Can't believe you haven't talked her into it before now as many times as you have been. She will be hooked once she gets there.