Salto, best way to get there

Nov 11th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Salto, best way to get there

Hi, I have read here interesting stories about Salto in Argentina. We would like to go there, 2 of us, from Buenos Aires. But can you advice which is the best (and NOT most expensive) way to get there and around there?

Is there any tour operator in Buenos Aires you could recommend that would have reasonably priced packages? We are planning only a few days trip and unfortunately I do not have time much to use for planning. So if you know any agency that you could recommend please help.

Or if you know an agency in Salto that could handle all arrangements so that we only buy flights there.

If you have any experience which option is cheaper, package bought in BA or in Salto, that info is welcome as well.

Nov 11th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Do you mean SALTO or SALTA?
Salta, whiwhc I feel you meant... is one of the most beautiful town in the NW of Argentina. It is a nice spanish colonial town, Capital of Salta province, keeps the most ancient heritages of the spanish outstanding families who lived in this area.
The Cathedral, San Francisco Church and many others stand out for its proud past. If it is Salta, it is a great choice and the chances to get a full satisfaction in your stay is 100% , the weather is great, the food exceptional, the hotels are nice and everything will be so amazing that I mayself garantee a pleasant stay in the whole NW.
Flintstones
Nov 12th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

SALTA was what I meant, sorry for mistake in spelling.

Anyway, any ideas how to get there and organize lodging and tours? Tour operator recommendations?
Nov 12th, 2008, 06:08 AM

I am in the midst of planning my trip as well. We plan to go to Salta and Jujuy- I believe we are going by bus... I say its because I want to see the landscape...my husband says its because Im cheap. Anyway! We are using a tour company called Argentina Inside recommended to us by the site we are renting our apartment from http://www.buenosairesstay.com . So far the customer service has been excellent so I should think their product is top notch as well. I had a lot of stellar recommendations for the apartment rental agency so I am excited to use the services they recommend. Also, the agents speak perfect english which as been VERY HELPFUL!
Nov 12th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Tahvo:

We have used Mercedes at Argentina Escapes and had very good service. reach her at [email protected] or check their web site at www.argentinaescapes.com to see what she can do for you.

I have read other good reports on this firm mentioning Pilar so you might try her as well if Mercedes is not available.

We were so pleased that Mercedes is now booking our next trip to Argentina and Peru starting next January.

Good luck.

Woodie
Nov 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM

I have gone with Pilar at Argentina Escapes and have been very very pleased every step of the way.

However, on this one I may point something out......

I believe it is the Salta (NW) area that your first respondant "Flintstones" has been referred to as the very best guide for this area in particular. She may be simply avoiding advertising so you may want to ask her directly.
Nov 12th, 2008, 03:34 PM

YEs and an a or an o, is a big difference in Spanish being words ending in o masculine and those ending in a feminine, also Salto is a not very big city on the River Uruguay on the Uruguay side and Salta is a wonderful destination in Argentina with some buildings dating from the XVI century if I am not wrong.
Uruguay and Argentina are two different countries , you know that, separated by the River Uruguay. There are I believe three important international bridges connecting both countries although one of them has been kidnapped by some Argentineans that are blocking it,
Can any one believe it? this surreal situation has being in effect for more than two years or so...madness!.....I thought you might like to know if you go South of the Border not to think you can cross the international bridge.
Nov 13th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Thank you, Graziela for clarifying, the difference between SALTA and Salto... it is not the same to eat dessert/ to eat a desert (sand must taste to... sand) LOL!
Tahvo, I can provide of any information you need to spend your time in the NW, remember not to book all the nights in SALTA, I recommend to take tours with an overnight in Purmamarca or in Cafayate and Cachi...
Take at least five full days in the area.
Flintstones