Safety in Rio

Jan 5th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Michael

Safety in Rio

Hi
I am travelling with a group of Middle Aged Irish People to Rio for the Carnaval. I have read about Rio and it appears to be wonderful. My only concerns are the safety issue and the cost of tickets to the Sambdrome. We are staying at the Windsor Palace in Copacabana .
Also I would like to enquire are visas necesaary for Irish Citizens

Please advise on any of the above and any other things that you might feel matter.

Michael

Jan 5th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Surlok

Michael,

Rio is as safe, or as dangerous as any big city in the world. Of course, during carnival, one has to be more cautious, mostly around the sambodromo, because of the crowds. Of course there's some street crime, mostly pick pocketing, but as far as you take some precautions, as wearing a money belt and not carrying expensive jewelry, cameras, watches, and by keeping most of your money and original passport in the hotel's safe, you'll be fine.

As for visas, check this site, also useful for touristic info:

http://www.brazil.org.uk/page.php?cat=16&type=pg&pn=1&bid=522

Based on the fact that Brazilians don't need a visa to visit Britain, and also on what I read on that site, I can inform beforehand that you won't need a visa, just a valid passport.

Should you need additional info, let me know. I'm Brazilian and live in Rio.

Regards,

Surlok

Jan 8th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Jill

Besides Surlok's recommendations for safety, I would also advise not to bring anything but the absolute necessities to the beach. Where flip flops to the beach - not your running shoes. And only bring a towel and a small amount of change for something to drink while on the beach.
Also, use the frescao buses (the large air-conditioned buses) for transportation or taxis. Try to avoid the standard public buses.
Don't let all the precautions scare you. Rio is fantastic and the people are friendly. Just use common sense when it comes to safety.
Jill

Jan 10th, 2002, 04:32 PM
JD

We stayed in Copacabana last September and had no problems with safety. Near the beach on Avenue Atlantica there was a clear police presence - groups of several officers strolling around at all times. Use common sense (no flashy jewelry, don't appear intoxicated, etc) and you shouldn't have any trouble.

have fun!

Jan 15th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Don

Like I said in a previous post I have been going to Rio since 1980 and years ago they stole my money and watch from my sneakers that I hid it in while I was at the beach in Ipanema. Since then I don't do that anymore. This last November 2001 I did something one should never do, that is walk down copacabana after a few drinks at about midnight, I was a little too confident because it has been so safe lately. But I was stopped by 2 men, well dressed they told me they had a knife and want my money, they showed me the knife and I yelled some obscenities at them and told them if they want my money to come and take it. They did not, they got away from me as fast as I wanted to get away from them, I quickly hailed a cab and went to where I was going and never did that again. Copacabana is safe during the day and at night if you use taxis and don't wlak far or in dark lonely areas.