Safety in Honduras

Nov 12th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Safety in Honduras

I am thinking about going to Honduras in Feb. We are a group of four woman who just got back from Nicaragua and now are ready for another adventure.
Is it safe for us? We would be traveling for about a week and would most likely go to the most traveled areas..The Bay Islands, Ceiba and perhaps Copan.
What are some highlights not to be missed? Thanks
Nov 12th, 2007, 10:07 AM

You lucky ducks - sounds like a blast! I found Honduras to be a safe, wonderful place to travel. I spent 2+ weeks in Copán in 2005 and about a month around La Ceiba and the Bay Islands in 2006. Next summer I'll be another 2 weeks in Copán with 2-3 on the Bay Islands. More than half the time I've been traveling on my own and have felt safe with reasonable precautions. One thing I do is get out of the big cities straight away, mainly San Pedro Sula. I take Hedman Alas buses instead of chicken buses as I'm prone to do in Belize or Guatemala and in any of the CA countries travel with valuables under my clothes. I travel very light, know where I am and where I'm going, and have never felt threatened.

Try to grab more than a week if you can - you won't regret it. I'd fly in to SAP, take the Hedman bus to Copán, stay 2 or 3 nights, head back to SAP and fly to either La Ceiba or one of the Bay Islands. I guess I'd fly to La Ceiba for some outdoor adventure 1st, then wind up on Roatán, flying from there to SAP for your flight home. The in-country flights are expensive but worth it, IMO, especially with such a short time frame.

My travelogues and photos are linked below; check them out and let me know if you have other questions. Happy trails!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections/
Nov 12th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Hopefulist,
I was hoping that you would respond. Thanks..
I already checked out your photos, they are amazing. I will also read your travelogs.
I wasn't even really thinking about Honduras but I was searching for another spot to go to and the flights to Honduras are great so I thought maybe it would be a good spot. It seems as if there are alot of things to do that we enjoy. Hiking, snorkeling ect. We enjoy the outdoors and like to keep very busy.
Would love to go for longer then a week but I have a little one at home and I can't be away too long. One week and I am missing him like crazy.
I think that your plan sounds good so I am going to start looking at hotels.
Thanks for your help. I am sure that I will have more questions.
Nov 12th, 2007, 01:16 PM

I really like the new Moon Handbook - great intro and cultural sections as well as local and lodging information.

http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Honduras-...4900632&sr=8-1

What are your interests and general budget categories? I might be able to help with lodging links if you can give me an idea of what you're looking for.

Happy trails!
Nov 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM

We were in Roatan, Utila, Del Sula in March of this year. While we spent most of the time on/in the water we did hike a bit and felt completely safe.There are a few very disadvantaged neigborhoods that we were advised to avoid day or night but I would give that same advice to folks visiting Detroit, neighborhoods around Miami, East L.A. and a few in NY.
In 2006 we hiked on the mainland in an area about 35 miles from the capital for a day and felt quite safe and had some good sightings that close to a population center.
Nov 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information.
I have been looking at all of the websites and trip advisor for the best places to stay.
Hopeful, I see that you stayed at Omega Lodge. What did you think. I would love to stay at Pico Bonito as it looks beautiful but it's just a bit out of our price range maybe one night but that would be our splurge.
For our budget I usually plan on about 50 dollars per person per night so that would give us 1200 dollars for six nights. We like to stay in one casa/bungalow but it's not always easy to find a place with enough beds.
I would love your help with suggestions of where to stay, that would be great. I looked at the hacienda in Copan but I couldn't find any prices listed. Do you know anything about that property?
Thanks
Nov 12th, 2007, 06:29 PM

We loved Omega Lodge. They have a variety of options including very creative, funky "jungle suites" with private bathrooms. You can email or consider calling, the owners are German but speak fluent English. You can read in our travelogue about where we stayed and the adventures we chose, all great.

In Copán I've always stayed in homestays, but the 2 places that my research and forum comments point me to are Hacienda San Lucas and Casa de Café which also has 2 houses for rent, linked at the bottom of the home page. One of them might be perfect for you.

http://www.haciendasanlucas.com/index.htm
http://casadecafecopan.com/

Hacienda is a lovely, classy place with excellent hiking and friendly staff. I haven't stayed there but have visited several times and am especially fond of the Los Sapos Maya site on the property. Their yellow lab usually accompanies hikers. You'll have to email for rate information, I guess.

For a start on Roatán lodging (in addition to the Moon Handbook) check out the Bay Islands Diver site for a few housing ideas.

http://www.bayislandsdiver.com/Accommodation.htm

There are also lots of rentals available which might be a good way to go.

Here are a couple of sites to get you going:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...a/honduras#429

http://www.sundancercabanas.com/

We loved the funky little place we rented in the Sandy Bay area in 2006 but the new owners are not renting it out at this time, thinking it too rustic. It was perfect for us, cheap, full kitchen, great view and snorkeling from shore.

I'm assuming Roatán because there's more to do there in addition to dive, but we love Utila, too. We'll be heading to both for at least a week next summer.

Don't be afraid to call and ask questions at any of the places. It just isn't that expensive and can be much simpler than emailing back and forth. Most of the places above would have an English speaking person on staff even if the owner isn't fluent.

Hope that's a start. Happy trails!
Nov 12th, 2007, 07:09 PM

tt

Flavia at Hacienda quoted 90/night for a solo traveller in Feb 2008. That included tax and Hacienda breakfast.
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great information. I have already heard back from Omega Lodge. It sounds like the perfect place for us. Did you by chance get a chance to look at the new cabins when you were there? Also, how much does the meals generally run if you can remember?
I'll take a look at the other places today. I am getting excited looking at all of the information.
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:56 AM

We were there about 14 months ago so if there are cabins newer than that we haven't seen them. At the time there were:
1) "dorms" which are nice rooms near the shared bathrooms with a couple of beds each,
2) the Creek Cabin that we stayed in which is a beautiful screened in cabin set above a small creek with handmade wood furniture and surrounded by foliage (downside is it's a bit of a walk to the bathroom)
3) the jungle suites, 2 beautiful suites with private bath, interesting design, artsy touches. I really thought they were very special - maybe that's what you're talking about?

As I recall, the food prices at Omega varied from $3-4 for a simple, good breakfast to $10-12 for the more expensive dinners which we really fabulous in our opinion. The lunches provided during adventures were also excellent, usually including gorging on freshly cut pineapple.
Nov 13th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Hopeful,
I believe the cabins are the jungle suites. Two floors with one bath. Sounds perfect for us. Udo also sent me some photos and they look great.
The food prices also seem very reasonable. I think that this will be our first choice in Ceiba. It's also good to know that you had such a positive experience.
Fresh pineapple is what we love! The pineapple is Costa Rica is excellent but in Nicaragua it was just ok. Maybe it wasn't quite the season for it.I look forward to trying out the Honduras variety. I appreciate all of your help.
Nov 13th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Hello again,
Is it possible to get private transfers in Honduras? We usually like to hire a driver to get us from one location to the next. Do you think it's safer to take the bus? Also does the bus pickup at the airport or do we need to transfer to the bus station? Thanks
Nov 13th, 2007, 02:12 PM

I don't know anything about private transfers unless they're provided by your lodging op. If you fly to SAP and on to La Ceiba you could probably hire Omega to pick you up. Depending on the time of day they might throw it in, otherwise it's a reasonable charge as I remember. We were picked up for free but paid to be delivered to the ferry dock.

In Copan the little mototaxis (tuktuks) are everywhere and cheap and easy to use. On Roatan there are taxis everywhere. Those are the things we've used when we weren't riding buses.

Happy trails!
Nov 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Hopefulist,
Ok, I was hoping that we wouldn't have to depend on the bus schedule. I guess we will fly to SAP, take a bus to copan, bus back to SAP fly to Roatan, ferry to Ceiba and then how to get back to the airport? Does that sound about right to you? Does it sound doable? Thanks again.
Nov 13th, 2007, 04:06 PM

If you ferry to La Ceiba in the morning and plan to do an actvity that day, Omega folks would probably pick you up at the dock free of charge. When you're through there, they'll deliver you to the La Ceiba airport, I think, but probably at cost (reasonable). Even if you have to pay both ways you'd have more fun and be as comfortable as with a taxi. That would work if you're flying back to SAP. If you're planning on taking a Hedman bus back to San Pedro Sula (which would also require a shuttle bus or taxi from the bus station to SAP) they'd deliver you to the Hedman station. That shuttle bus or taxi will be required coming and going to Copan as well since the bus station is a half hour or so from the airport. Here's the Hedman Alas website to check for times: http://hedmanalas.com/

Let me know if there's more I can do. I'm jealous because I don't get to go till July.