Safety

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Roy

Safety

Are public busses and the subways safe for gringos in BA.<BR>I've seen advice here to always use a "radio taxi". What is a radio taxi?<BR>If it is a taxi which is called by telephone, what do you do if you are at the San Telmo market and decide to return to the hotel? And you don't have a cellular phone.<BR>Dose anyone know the Bisonte Palace Hotel?<BR>The location looks good but the rates are so low that it raises questions.<BR>WE are looking forward to responses!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:09 AM
maria

Roy,<BR><BR>Public buses and the subways are safe for gringos in BA. Taxis is a different issue. If you have no option, stop a radio taxi. ALWAYS check the "IRA" sticker on the front windshield.<BR><BR>Some people visiting the company I worked for stayed at the Bisonte several years ago. It's kind of blah, nothing special about it, not even the location.<BR><BR>What's exactly the purpose of your trip? I doubt the the Bisonte is close to the key spots. <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:01 AM
megan

a radio taxi is one that you call ahead for. I always tip them very well and ask them to return in an hour (or 2 depending) they have ALWAYS returned. do not take a bus. do not dress well. do not drive a car at night. where is BA? I am in DF

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:02 AM
maria

BA is Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina. Actually, you can dress well in Argentina, as most of the people here do. Of course, you can also wear tee-shirts and bermudas, nobody will give you a double look, but please don't, as the winter is pretty cold here.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Roy

Thanks Maria for the information.<BR>I believe the Bisonte Palace is different from the Bisonte Hotel. The B. Palace is on M. D. Alvear at Suipacha which seems like a central spot for the usual touristic things - No???<BR>Is the Puerto Madero area safe for a couple of older people to walk about at night?<BR>Have prices begun to rise since the first of the year? For example, have restaurant prices and the cost of clothing increased?

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Angie

Buses and subways are quite safe but the subway network is not very extensive so it will not be useful to move around the most touristic sites. Radio taxis are for user the best way to move around or you can ask a "remise" to show you around, carry your parcels and you arrange the rate for the day. You can always call a taxi from a public phone. I know where the Bisonte hotel is although have never stayed there (I live in Bs As) The location is good and it is in a neighbourhood full of 3* hotels. Don't be surprised about the rates: how much are they asking?

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Roy

Thanks Angie, for the reply.<BR>Do you have any idea what a "remise" would cost, roughly, for six hours?<BR>And how would I find a "remise?"<BR>Also, not related to that really, but are ATM's operative today in BA? And. if so, do they give you pesos?

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:41 AM
maria

Roy,<BR><BR>I was referring to the Bisonte Palace. M. D. Alvear at Suipacha is downtown, but I would not stay there, unless you come on here on business. As in most countries, downtown is not good at night, worse on weekends. It is true that is central but, for the usual touristic things? I don't think so.<BR><BR>Puerto Madero area is safe for a couple of older people to walk about at night.<BR><BR>Prices are unincredible inexpensive, as the exchange rate is 3.65. An example: 1 big Mac (although I assume you will not get even close to Mc. Donalds) is 60 cents dollars/euro. A remise is very easy to find. The one working for our company who generally takes care from our visits from Home Office in England is very reasonable (they are associated to Hertz I think)<BR><BR>Please contact me for further information.<BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Angie

Roy, if you will need a car for several hours, you could previously arrange a price with the company, it will depend on the distances to cover. I you will be moving around the city, a remise would cost aprox 60 pesos for 6 hours (less than 20 dollars). The advantages are safety, customer service and, if you buy things, you can keep them in the car without having to return to the hotel. I can suggest a company: Remise Uno tel: (011) 4300-8030 but you can contact any other company through the hotel.<BR>Regarding ATMs, they are available 24 hours a day and they will only work with pesos

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Roy

Thanks Maria and Angie! It is great to get advice directly from the source!