Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Safe Plane to Chichen Itza from Playa Del Carmen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Christy

I read a previous post about plane travel from PDC to Chichen Itza regarding a charter company (in 2002?) that was unsafe and eventually closed down. We would very much want to do a trip to Chichen Itza from either Playa Del Carmen (where we will be two days) or from Tulum-from Tulum I assume we would have to drive-are there buses from Tulum to Chichen Itza or is it better to drive ourselves and if so about how long of a round trip is it?. I am wondering about the current safety of planes that do this trip, which airlines/charter companies do it, and where I could access time schedules. <BR><BR>Thanks for any help.<BR>Christy

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Lois

Christy, I took a very small plane from Playa to the ruins... it was back in the mid 90s.. so I am sure you will receive more current posts than mine.. but the plane was a small prop.. there were a total of about 8 of us.. Maybe 10...with 2 or 3 crewman..I was traveling on my own and didnt feel like taking the BIG BUS TOUR...I booked that flight after I checked in at the resort I stayed..They were very helpful with all the outside activities..I would ask the staff about the planes..but, like I said you may get more replies on here too<BR>Have a wonderful time anyway!

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 10:23 AM
ttt

to the top

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:47 PM
JACK

Visiting Chichen Itza is a long, full,hot day. Drive from Playa Del Carmen and spend a night there, staying for the light show. Wonderful, small Mexican hotels at the site. Drive on to Merida for your flight home or return via Coba, ruin site equal to CI that has not been uncovered.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 05:45 AM
Robert

Aero Ferinco, the airline which ran most of these tours, did have a crash at Chichen Itza last year, killing all aboard--mostly Americans from a cruise ship. The airline was shut down by the government and I don't believe anyone has replaced them.<BR>I do believe one day tours are still operated using the services of Aero Cozumel/Aerocaribe which is owned by Mexicana and has a good record. This, of course, would be from Cozumel but an easy matter to go there by ferry.<BR><BR>Robert