Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

ROATAN-the truth about sandflies, mosqutioes and malaria risk??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 02:15 PM
ana

Hi,<BR>we are planning to visit Roatan in March of 2003 and we are staying on West Bay beach. Exactly how bad is the sandflies problem? And is there really any mosquitoe/malaria risk?<BR><BR>What precautions can we take? <BR><BR>Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:21 PM
KDS

There are serious sand fly problems on the beaches. I would take plenty of Off bug spray and you should be fine. My husband and I went; I had no problems as long as I sprayed Off once or twice a day; My husband forgot and suffered.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:16 AM
rquirk

See previous posting "What about the bugs in Roatan" or do a word search on "Utila"

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Owen O'Neill

Don't just get "Off". make sure it's the "deep woods" variety and that deet is listed on the label as an active ingredient. Deet seems to be the one thing that consistently helps. Any brand of bug spray is okay if it has 20% Deet.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 03:12 PM
uhoh

UH OH~ I am heading to Roatan and have 100% Deet. Is that too much, or does it matter? I was concerned about skin irritation, but I assumed more was better.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Owen O'Neill

There have been some concerns expressed about skin irritation and also possible low level toxicity of some sort from 100%. I STRESS that this was strictly Internet hearsay in a Central America travel forum - I have seen no factual evidence. I took 20% and 100% and found that the 20% was fine. When I was at Caves Branch I did put a few drops of the 20% around my neck and it worked fine but it stung a bit when I put it on. Mix some into some sun screen or skin lotion in your palm before rubbing it on and you'll be fine

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Dionisia

With regard to DEET, check the Consumer Reports magazine articles on this subject, and their recommendations. DEET is a neurotoxin; but it is necessary to deal with insects like mosquitoes.

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 12:16 PM
Nina1167

We just got back from Roatan and stayed in West Beach and were at West Bay a lot. We never saw or felt any sand fleas. However, the time before we couldn't get out of the water it was so bad. It seems they are either there or they aren't - and it doesn't necessarily have to do with the month.