Notices

Roatan safety and other suggestions?

Jan 1st, 2012, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Roatan safety and other suggestions?

Greetings to all and Happy New Year!

Wife and I are contemplating a visit to Roatan. Just want to get some comments about its safety and crime rate. We plan to rent a car and stay in a villa/cottage instead of a resort.

We are seasoned travelers (from NYC), and had been to many islands, so we know the basic "street smart" stuff. But if you know of areas that are off limits due to previous incidents with tourists, we would appreciate the insight. That said I believe the island is pretty chill, no?

Anyway, I also would appreciate suggestions on where to eat and what to do on the island. We are big time beach bums (and avid shellers) so your beach suggestions are much welcomed! Last where are the local, divey, watering holes that are a must?

And finally, any opportunities to do day trips to the mainland, so that we could visit a mayan ruin or something?

Many thanks!
Jan 1st, 2012, 11:30 AM

www.travel-roatan.com/safety.htm
www.travel.state.gov Honduras goood info
anthonyskey.com seagraperoatan.com my favs
prefer cheap driver guides to car rental.
Copan is best for ruins I stay at Yat Balam.
Can get dodgy in places insuremytrip.com wise.

Happpy Planning!
Jan 1st, 2012, 11:36 AM
TC

Hi "Foodie", Its been quite a few years since we were in Roatan, but we really loved it. We rented a house on West End Beach. There was (and still is) a lovely little enclave there of about 5-6 houses, right on the beach. There are resorts along the beach, so you can easily walk to restaurants. The snorkeling from this beach was AMAZING! At the time there was also a dive shop right next door. I'm sure you can get current information from the propieters. We shared St. Mac's upstairs with another couple. Its just a great location. There is a dock out front from which one can get "water taxis" into town for dinner, shopping, etc.

Have a look at:
http://www.westbayvillage.com/
Jan 1st, 2012, 11:43 AM

Ask around when you get there for safety in certain places, like beach areas at night. With common sense most folks have a safe, happy time there. I've never been tempted to rent a car because it's so easy to catch a cab or bus to where we're heading.

The ruins of Copán are quite a long ways off. You could fly to San Pedro Sula and bus from there (3 hours each way). You can look for charter flights from Roatán to Copán as there's a small airport there but no regularly scheduled flights I know of, though I've heard rumors again recently.

A quick flight or a ferry ride to La Ceiba and you can access rafting, kayaking, horse trips, and waterfall hikes at Omega Lodge - we loved it there. My photos with trip and review links are below. Happy trails!
www.omegatours.info
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM

Roatan is paradise to me. I am an ex-pat that has been living here for years. I have never been in a situation of danger. If you have common sense, you will be fine, "anywhere" you travel. My husband and I own a tour operator business on the island (RoatanSunSplashTours. com), and we love sharing this island with our clients that come via cruise ship, or land vacation. The Bay Islands are so far removed from the mainland it feels like we are our own country. Peace, beauty, and 'island time' is what you can expect when visiting here. Enjoy sunsets, good food, humble people. Did I mention how awesome the diving and snorkeling is here on Roatan?? Second to none in the world.
We hope to see you all soon!
Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:13 PM

Oh yeah, and best eats (in my opinion) coconut shrimp at Half Moon Bay, Argentinian Grill, Tongs, and a must is Dola's Rotisserie Chicken.
Waterholes, Sundowners and all up west end village.
Mar 8th, 2014, 11:04 AM

Although it's hard to find concrete details and crime statistics, I will give you my personal opinion. I also live in NYC - yet feel more safe in Roatan than I do at home!

Overall, I think the "incidents" that have occurred over the last few years have been blown out of proportion. Crime can happen anywhere. I wrote a blog post on Roatan safety here for more of my opinion: http://www.vacaybuddy.com/is-roatan-...ple-dont-know/

Mainland Honduras is a totally different story, and I would not recommend a day trip there.

As for places to eat, Bite on the Beach and Beacher's are my too recommendations. Beacher's is owned by a local, and has some of the best coconut shrimp around! The are both located in West Bay.

For things to do: snorkeling, diving, swimming with Dolphin's at Anthony's Key, boat and land tours top the list.

Search this Thread