Roatan meds

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roatan meds

Does anyone worry about malaria on Roatan? My travel clinic is telling me I should get the Typhoid vaccine and malaria pills. I already have the other standard shots from a trip last year to Africa.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 02:48 PM

I just went to the Dr. yesterday in preparation for my trip in Feb. My Doctor gave me a polio shot, precription for malaria meds, cipro and for thypoid pills. You can get a shot or take pills. I too have already had hep A/B. I am traveling to Ceiba as well.
I have three other friends that I am traveling with and they all went to different travel clinics. One other girl got the polio. They all got thyphod and malaria.
I think it's up to you and your Dr. and what you feel comfortable with.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Here's the link to the CDC's Honduras travel site:

wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationHonduras.aspx

I take their advice seriously. Happy trails!
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I am curious about the expat community and what they do about malaria. Has anyone ever seen statistics on the odds of getting it while vacationing? I understand better safe than sorry, but are the odds about the same as getting mugged?
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM

I don't know, though occasionally I read a report on the scuba forum of someone coming home from Roatán with malaria. My beloved Uncle Chuck contracted malaria in WWII and suffered devastating revisits of the disease for the rest of his life - scarier than your standard mugging to me.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM

I can tell you based on 3 visits to Roatan in the past 5-6 years that mosquitos are an issue but so arethey in many Caribbean Islands at dawn and dust and just before a shower or after until rain dries and humidity lowers.
But, malaria is really over-medicating yourself per my immunologist. Cipro is useful as is immodol and Hep A&B. If you travel on the mainland outside the capital that is a completely different matter/ Using 90-100% DEET 2 X a day inside clothes and all exposed body parts is critical. The same doctor said 2 weeks of lathering in it will not harm people over age 10 (for them use 25% DEET max.). It turns out oily suntan lotion wards off mosquitos also because they mist keep their wings dty amnd avoid oil based surfaces. Hope some of this helps. The Cactus Juice they sell in Roatan we found to be ineffective vs. DEET but it's a bit oily.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM

We've had great luck with Sawyers Time Release Deet and Ultrathon is another similar product. The deet is encapsulated so you can keep the bugs off effectively with a lower level of deet (20%?) and absorb less into your skin.

IMO Cipro is scarier than chloroquine, though I always pack cipro along in case one of us gets really sick, which has happened a time or 2 over the years. There's a price to pay, personally and globally, for indiscriminate use of antibiotics. For "turista" we use cayenne pepper capsules which usually work wonders, and immodium if the problem continues but isn't too severe.