Roatan Barefoot Cay Resort Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Barefoot Cay Resort is an awesome place to stay. After driving around the island and looking at other places, we concluded it is the nicest place on Roatan. (This is my report on the Resort. I will post a trip report on Roatan later.)

Barefoot Cay Resort is on a small cay off the island of Roatan. The resort has a boat to take you from the cay to the island – it is about a 30 second boat ride – you can throw a stone from shore to shore. There is always a guard on duty to transport you.
STAFF
The owners, Melisse and John, come to the airport to pick you up. They are about the warmest and nicest people you will ever meet and that is also true for their staff. The staff gives you your privacy but they are always available to meet your needs. Moreover, they are always smiling, friendly, and helpful. I was surprised by the number of people employed at the Barefoot Cay Resort (BCR). The cay is kept spotless and the rooms immaculate. Everyone at the Resort certainly appears to take great pride in their work.
ROOMS
The rooms at Barefoot Cay Resort are gorgeous. Actually, they are cottages, not just rooms. The bedroom is separate from the living and kitchen areas. One of the greatest features is the living room – the doors fold completely open so your living room and the outdoors become one. You sit on the couch, feel the breeze, and look out at the spectacular view of the gorgeous blue waters of the Caribbean. The décor is classy, beachy (wicker), but comfortable. At arrival, housekeeping has a lot of flowers strategically placed around the cottage – you feel like you are walking into an island paradise. There are only 4 cottages on the Cay. It was a lot of fun talking to the other guests at dinner, etc. and getting their advice on what not-to-miss on the island.
FOOD
The food at Barefoot Cay Resort is excellent. We ate lunch or dinner at other highly recommended restaurants four or five times and each time we were disappointed. The food may have been good but no meal was nearly as good as that at the Resort. I don’t know if the cooks at BCR are professionally trained or just fabulous cooks but whatever – it sure works! The fact that they use quality food also adds to the flavors. Note: The restaurant at BCR is only open to guests of the Resort.
SNORKELING
The reef runs close to the Resort and provides a barrier between the ocean and Barefoot Cay. A dock on the ocean side of the cay leads to a thatched palapa with hammocks and chairs. It’s a great place to hang out and relax or snorkel. There are a couple sunken boats attracting fish and not much further out is the reef. We saw barracuda, an eagle ray, sea cucumbers, several varieties of fish, etc. Depending on where and how often you have snorkeled depends on how you would rank the snorkeling right off the resort. We rank it pretty good – a 7 or 8 out of 10.
DIVING
The best dive sites on Roatan are located right outside the reef by Barefoot Cay or a very short boat trip away.
Barefoot Divers are located at the Barefoot Cay Resort. Whether it is your first dive or you are a seasoned diver – they are a great group for your dive excursion. They are very attentive, safety conscious, flexible, friendly, and fun. They were so great with us. A few days into our trip our son got an ear infection. There were several days we made plans to go out on the boat only to discover we had to cancel because his ear had not cleared up. Barefoot Divers were so patient and flexible with us – which we greatly appreciated. At the present time (March 2008), Barefoot Divers are dedicated to the guests of BCR. On some trips, we were the only people on the boat. My guys would dive with the divemaster, I would snorkel, and the Captain would keep an eye on all of us. BCR is building a dive shop across from the cay which will accommodate non-guests of BCR. However, BCR owners told me their guests would still be a top priority for diving/snorkeling excursions.
CAR RENTAL
BCR has a couple vehicles available for rental or they will make arrangements for you with a car rental company they trust. Normally on an island, we rent a vehicle at the airport for our entire trip. However after reading several posts on different forums, I was extremely hesitant to drive around Roatan. My fears were unfounded. You will want to rent a car at least a couple days to go out and explore the island. Advice: I really suggest you let BCR pick you up at the airport then sometime during your stay rent a car for a couple days and have BCR handle the car reservations for you.

It’s really hard to find anything negative to say about Barefoot Cay Resort. The only negative I can think of isn’t really what I consider a negative – standing on the “road” side of the cay, you do see ships and fishing boats. However, we are pretty picky and this did not distract from our stay in any way. From your room, you have a gorgeous view looking out into the ocean. Also, while there is a wonderful beach on the Cay, it is not good for swimming from the beach – too much sea grass. However, the palapa is a great place to jump into the wonderful clear warmCaribbean waters.

For more info on Barefoot Cay Resort goto http://www.barefootcay.com/

If you want hotels on top of hotels and busy beaches, the Barefoot Cay Resort is not for you (you will want to stay in West Bay). If you have kids and want a “Myrtle Beach” type atmosphere, the Barefoot Cay Resort is not for you (I think Anthony’s Key may fit the bill for you). However, if you want a fantastic place to stay, Barefoot Cay Resort is the place for you.

Hints about Roatan:

** Take a lot of small bills ($1, $5, $10) – many places find it difficult to break a $20.
** Keep in mind – in shops off the main tourist areas, the cashier may not speak English, but we found their was always someone in the store who did.
** It is a 3rd world country so don’t go expecting a Grand Cayman or an island like that. Love and appreciate it for what it is. It is very interesting to see a different way of life.
** Every post you read about Roatan will tell you – use bug spray. Do not ignore this advice. If nothing else, the “no-seeum” bugs will get you (the bite does not itch, you just have little red marks for a day or so). BCR does a great job of raking and spraying so we were not annoyed by bugs (plus we used bug spray) but there were some – it is just the nature of the island. Also, we were there in March and there was a good wind – this helps with bugs. I took a lot of bug spray but we ended up using the Cactus Juice bug spray we bought at the resort. We took malaria medicine as advised by other Roatan posts. I don’t know if it is necessary but we did. FYI: Our insurance did not cover the medicine since it was “preventive medicine” and it is pricey. It was over $90 per person.
** School supplies are greatly appreciated on the island so if you have room in your suitcase, take some things for distribution among the schools.
** Take and use strong sunscreen, expecially if you are going out on a boat. You will be shocked at how strong the sun it and how you may not realize it because of the winds.
** If you are flying back and going through Atlanta, be sure to allow a long layover. It was storming in Atlanta so it took Delta over an hour and a half to get our luggage on the carousal. Since we had to take our luggage through customs with us, we had to wait for it. Our 2 hour layover was not long enough, our plane was overbooked and they shut the doors early, Delta would get us on standby so we could maybe leave the next day, etc. So we rented a car and drove 8 hours throughout the night to get home. Don’t you just love the airlines!!!!

Sorry my post is so long, hope the info helps, will be glad to answer any questions (if there are any left!).
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Interesting post - thanks for taking the time to share! You are lucky the sand fly bites didn't bother you - on some folks they itch like crazy for weeks. Looking forward to more!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the report - our dive boat took "the scenic route" back from Mary's Place and we saw BCR up close, it looked great - now we know it is.

Interesting about your malaria meds. Our insurance did cover them; but were annoying about it. Even though my doc said I'd need 5 pills (one a week) they'd only give me 4 pills and then made me come back the next month for the the one remaining pill (next month's supply in their view, I guess).

Glad you had a good time - and that the car rental went well.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Rum, Where did you stay? How was it?
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 05:14 AM

We stayed at Cocoview and really loved it. Cocoview sounds similar, though bigger (about 80 guests max ) and more casual than the BRC. It's on its own small cay. The rooms look more rustic at Cocoview than BRC, some have air conditioning, though we found we didn't need it in March. Cocoview has some cabanas built on stilits over the water - those were all booked up, so we rented a 2 bedroom beach house from their sister rental agent Playa Miguel. It had a wonderful screened porch for viewing of the ocean and resident hummingbirds. We were given use of bikes, and made the 3-4 minute ride to the resort for meals and diving. The food was fresh, good and plentiful, but not what I'd call gourmet.

It's really all about the diving at Cocoview. Our main goal on this vacation was to dive and that we did - 4 or 5 dives a day. The diving was some of the best we've done in the Caribbean. We did our first shark dive (offsite) and had a blast swimming with 12-15 5-7 foot grey sharks - very exhilarating. We only did a half day tour of Roatan - we especially enjoyed the Botanical garden. You can check out our photos here: http://tinyurl.com/3voepv

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip, especially the "topside" activites we missed out on.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

ttt