Search

Riviera Maya Family Lodging

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riviera Maya Family Lodging

We are taking a family vacation to Riviera Maya in March, and are looking for unique affordable lodging.

We aren't interested in all inclusive, or large hotels. We like to avoid TV if possible.

I am looking into petit Lafitte, but am somewhat concerned about the beach being rocky. Would love some suggestions.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Posada Luna del Sur, Tulum: See 216 traveler reviews, 140 candid photos, and great deals for Posada Luna del Sur, ranked #1 of 64 hotels in Tulum and rated 5 of 5 at TripAdvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...del_Sur-Tulum_
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Where do you want to be? For a family it's hard to beat Akumal. Check out Villas Mayas bungalows. We just go back from there - 1000' from the beach where you can swim or snorkel, next to a great restaurant,and it's quiet, safe and clean.
Tulum is another option, especially if you want more surf and more privacy. We stayed at Los Lirios last year, and it was great.
Playa is fun if you want city excitement along with nice beach. We stayed at Posada Mariposa, a small hotel about 3 blocks form the very 'hip' and beautiful Mamita's beach.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 05:56 PM

I too am looking for similar lodging for my family, not an AI but good for kids. ?The Posada Luna del Sur mentioned in an earlier post is adults only.

I am also looking at Petit Lafite but would prefer to be able to walk to restaurants. Want a place on or near the beach with a pool.

Appreciate suggestions!
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 07:59 AM

There is a sandy beach water entry just a smidge to the north of Petit Lafitte.

As mentioned, Posada Luna del Sur is age 16+ and is located in the pueblo of Tulum. It's a lovely place, though.

We always stay in Tulum, but almost all the good stuff is already booked.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM

I'd go for a nice condo in Playa. Check out locogringo.com. Great way to have nice and affordable lodgings.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Puerto Morelos is a great place for a family location. The beaches are gorgeouse, not rocky at all, and the snorkeling is awesome. It's less touristy than many other options and the town is easily walkable with great restaurants. We often linger after dinner and feel safe with our kids hanging out in the square watching a pick up soccer game or heading home by themselves.