Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Playa del Carmen and ??? Akumal or Isla Mujeres???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Iza
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much debating, we have decided to spend our two week summer vacation (August) in Mexico. I think we are set on a week at Shangri-La Caribe in PDC but cannot make up our minds about the second week. At first, we thought Isla Mujeres, but now we are strongly considering Akumal as well. We are looking for a nice small hotel (not AI resort) or a condo with a pool and preferably AC. Beachfront location is important. Budget is $100-200 per night for 2 adults and 11 year old.

Any comparisons between Akumal and Isla Mujeres? Any accommodation recommendations? I think if we decide on Isla Mujeres it will be between Na Balam and Nautibeach Condos. But have no idea about Akumal.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:33 PM

Akumal gets great reviews. Go to Locogringo.com for lots of info on the area. There are also a lot of things to do in and around Akumal. That would be my choice.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 04:36 AM

We've just come back from PDC and Akumal, and loved Akumal. I'm sure Isla is also very nice, but Akumal is close to so many interesting things, like Tulum, Coba, many cenotes, etc. We stayed at the Vista del Mar hotel right on Half Moon Bay, and it was heaven. Just realize that Half Moon bay has a rocky bottom and is better suited to snorkelling than swimming. Akumal beach however, is sandy bottom and great for kids.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM

It's noton the beach,but it's a great new hotel in Tulum... Everything youlike : swimming pool, air conditioning, and good food. Go to Don Diego de la Selva and tell themI sent you.
Enjoy your trip
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Both will be HOT of course in August. I've been a few times to Isla and really like its small-town feel and quiet-tude. The North Beach just by Na-Balaam is superb. One of the best beaches I have been on in the world! Go to www.cancunmap.com for a really nice map of Maya Riviera, by the way. On Isla I have stayed twice at a place next to Na-Balaam, on the beach, named Corona del Mar. A little older, clean, a little funky, kind of like what you would expect from an Old Mexico ambiance. They have really nice planted gardens around their pool. It's right on the beach, too. The Na Balaam is much more modern, but I think will be in the upper reaches of your budget. Both have good beach bars. Below Akumal, where I have not stayed, we were referred to an exquisite stretch of beach named Xpu-Ha ["Shpoo Ha"] Then, it was only accessible by 4 dirt roads Xpu-Ha 1-4. Now I know that there is one larger hotel built at the southern end of the beach just above Robinsons. But if you want a great stretch of sand, try to get to Xpu-Ha.

We found it easy to stay on Isla, and go back to the airport, rent a car & day trip to the area below Playa del Carmen...Its only about 1 1/2 hr. drive from the airport to Akumal...
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Jeez, I hate this site. Every time I promise myself I won't promote my favorite places in the world for fear they'll be overrun, I do it anyway.

Isla Mujeres' Playa Norte is the best beach in Mexico, it's a wonderful little town, good snorkeling, some great street food for lunch in its tiny market, not too, too many tourists, etc. It's your basic paradise.

Don't tell anyone.

God, I'm weak. Hrumph.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Where's the best place to stay in Isla Mujeres Playa norte? Don't really need a condo since I'm not cooking. Trying to decide between Shangri La Caribe, Capitan Lafitte and Isla Mujeres. Have two kids coming, 8 and 15.

Thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Even without cooking, if I was traveling with kids, I'd opt for Nautibeach condos on Playa Norte. Nice pool, more room. I've seen the rooms at Na Balaam, but personally, I think it's overpriced. Cabanas Maria del Mar might be all right, never seen the inside. Nice beach bar.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Thanks so much, I'm looking up rooms now
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 04:11 PM

I have stayed at Cabanas Maria del Mar a couple of times and the rooms are clean, large, good bathrroms. All the right stuff and well priced, and ON THE BEACH!!! As to the kids---thetown is so small and cozy, you can feel good about letting them go off on their own pretty much with just check-ins every so often. Very safe in Isla!
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 02:35 PM

If you want a mini-Cancun go to Akumal. It is close to some ruins the most interesting being Tulum. But if you want a peacesful place with lovely beaches and fairly good snorkeling I would opt for Isla de Mujeres. You take a flight to Cancun and get out of there fast over to the ferry and in no time you are there. Go for a deluxe oceanfront room at Na Balam or similar. Request a room not on the 1st floor. It reduces the guests going past your room.In August $175-$225 can get you what you want. But as said earlier it is hot! While it is "really out of the hurricane belt that area gets their tropical storms from August through Sept. Also, meals will be 20% less on average compared to Akumal. Don't shy away from a luxury condo for it is pleasant to purchase a few items and have breakfast in a one bedroom suite. Enjoy!