Reload this Page >

Riu Playacar or Iberostar Paraiso?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Pam

Which would you recommend - Riu Playacar or Iberostar Paraisa? FYI, I'm going in 3 weeks with my Mom. We want relaxation, good food, and nice friendly people (staff and other guests). We don't want too many spring breakers or to feel like we're surrounded solely by honeymooners. Any suggestions?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Christie

My Mom and I went to the Riu Playacar in November and we had a wonderful time. It is a smaller, quiet hotel but the pool area is lovely and there is never a shortage of beach chairs. The food was great (especially breakfast) and the staff was very helpful. We didn't care to much for the evening entertainment, so we spent several evenings in downtown PDC (10 minute, $5 cab ride) shopping and getting henna tattoos. Overall, it was just a wonderful trip and we'd love to go back!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Ron

Pam, please, please, please read this! My wife and I have stayed at BOTH properties. THERE IS NO COMPARISON. The Iberostar is head and shoulders over the Riu property. The food and drink are better, the rooms are better, the beauty of the jungle feel at Iberostar is better then the "concrete heaven" feel of the Riu. There is no comparison between the evening entertainment either. Iberostar is top-shelf and Riu is amature. The Riu beach is a little nicer, but that is about all that is nicer (the Iberostar beach is beautiful, it is just not a flat and expansive at the beach at the Riu property). Please feel free to email Laurie or I with any questions.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Debbie

We just came back from a week at IB Paraiso and it really is a gorgeous property. The rooms are spectacular with a big cushy sofa and chair in the room (not that we ever sat on them much) and double wide marble shower with 2 shower heads. On the balcony is a drying rack. Definitely not a 'full of spring breakers/honeymooners' type of place - mostly adults and families. There is a quiet section of the immense, huge pool with it's own swim up bar but if you want to get in on some fun you can go further down the pool to the more active pool bar and activities area. Good breezes on the beach and plenty of loungers. Also there is a selection of good pottery to be painted at either the pool or the beach (you buy the white piece, paint it up between the lines and they 'mexicanize' it and finish the piece with a glaze (looks just like something you buy in the stores there). IMHO the food was slightly better/more extensive options at the RIU resorts but the Paraiso is still darned good. You won't go hungry by any means. The buffet is fine and the specialty restaurants are good, in particular the Mediterranean if you love, love seafood.<BR>Go with the Paraiso and you're Mom will love it! So will you.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Pam

Thanks guys!!

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Parrot Mom

Hate to toss water on your parade, but we hated the Iberostar Paraiso (there Oct. 27th)..we couldn't wait to go home. Food was thought to be recycled, entertainment was the worst for a hotel of this stature, mosquitos big enough to fly a plane. It is a sprawling resort and hopefully your mother will not mind long walks or waits for the trolley. For more info please write.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 07:51 PM
elaine

Parrott Mom, You are about the only person I have ever heard of that complained about the Iberostar Paraiso.<BR>For my 2 cents the Iberostar Paraiso and Quetzal/Tucan are 2 of the best.<BR>I have stayed at both plus the Gala, Royal Hideaway, Caribbean Village Playacar, Caribbean Village Cancun and Moon Palace.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Parrot Mom

Sorry, but after being at several all-inclusives if nothing else I am honest. There is a site which I have lost is a forum for the area and everybody raved about the Paraiso, perhaps my expectations were too high. Then again, it was the end of October and rainy...because of 9/11 staff had been drastically cut (information from an intern from Belgium who was doing work there)..For a resort of this reputation expected decent entertainment and food..We have been to many resorts in our 20 years of traveling and the staff has put on some great wonderful shows even if they are lip synching..the only show decent was the black light show. Spoke to the head of the entertainment staff about bringing in Foklorica..he says they do that sometimes.. On a positive note the house band and female singer were well worthwhile and I would have bought a CD had they had one. Another comment by a guest was "they had better entertainment the week before".. The food in the sitdown restaurants was very good, the buffet to me was a complete disaster..no rhyme or reason and everything seemed recycled from another meal.. The staff at the buffet was just wonderful. The grounds and decor in the lobby are beautiful and they even extended the decor in to the lobby restrooms. There was always palapas available around the pool area. I think we were in building 15 and we are "white heads" and waiting for the trolley seemed to be endless. The tendency for newer resorts to be sprawling is great if you like to walk or are able to..or there is sufficient transportation its fine. I could go on and on..loh yes. I did do a pottery piece. Perhaps another reason I was not happy with the resort was the treatment of their animals, especially the ones in the lobby and around the pool area. If I knew where to reach PETA I would certainly report them.. as you can tell by my name I am a parrot owner, five to be exact. A few days after my review another one was posted which was much more devastating,..