RIU PALACE PLAYA DEL CARMEN- NICE???

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIU PALACE PLAYA DEL CARMEN- NICE???

i AM THINKING ABOUT STAYING AT THE RIU PALACE IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN AND HEARD IT WAS REALLY NICE. I'VE STAYED AT THE RIU PALACE IN PUERTO VALLARTA AND THOUGHT IT WAS NICE. APPRECIATE RESPONSES ONLY FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY STAYED HERE! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 08:03 AM

This is 2nd hand info, but this past year my brother-in-law and his wife stayed at both of these. He's a picky traveller and loved each of these resorts including the food (which usually is mediocre in AIs). He had never gone the AI route before, but loved the PDC one so much, he decided to visit the PV one as well.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 07:40 AM

The hotel is lovely. We stayed for a couple of days and decided to to move to the Iberostar a couple of doors down. The Iberostar was just more fun. The beach is just a couple of steps from the pool (which is so much nicer than the Rue Palace. Plus, I didn't like having to tell them in advance what time we would have dinner every evening for the week. You have a good 5 - 10 minute walk from the RP pool area to the water on the beach. Just didn't care for it.
Old May 15th, 2004, 12:13 PM

We have booked 10 days over Christmas at the Riu Palace in Playacar, but am beginning to have second thoughts. Some of the complaints from reviews:
1. The terrible views and often noisy location of rooms.
2. Rooms have very thin walls, can hear everything next door including snores.
3. Guests from the Riu Tequilla are shuttled over in droves to use the Riu Palace beach.
4. Noise of waverunners, gas odors and bothered by vendors on beach.
5. Ridiculous policy of requiring dinner reservation at 7am.
6. Hard beds!
Other than these complaints it seems to be one of the better places to stay in Playacar.
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:14 PM

I stayed at the RIU palace dec 2002 and found it to be a great value and a very nice hotel. The food was good and the service was great. The resort itself was very nice and I enjoyed the beach immensley. The all inclusiveness was very nice considering there were 5 of us! The staff put on great entertainment. My only complaint was the beds were hard.
I booked thru suntrips and got a wonderful rate. There are 4 RIUs adjoining each other and you can visit all of them for shows or clubs!
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Not only is it nice - it's outstanding. This is the 4th time in 3 years that we traveled to the PDC vicinity and the Riu Palace is tops on our list. Let me address some of the other views re: this property. There are vendors on the beach usually selling jewelry, however if you indicate a "no" they won't bother you. Yes, the beach is crowded but we started a regiment of eating our breakfast (you can reserve a table for your length of stay for all meals) on the patio at Don Julian, then to the pool, lunch usually at El Patio (closer to the beach) then the beach for a couple of hours prior to dinner. We were somewhat taken aback at having to make reservations at the buffet (Don Julian) but we became use to it and usually spent time prior to dinner in the lounge with new friends. Essentially, we were never on time and never had a problem. You can request a view of the fountains (I believe it's called the Super Deluxe) and we were on the 2nd floor. The only noise was housekeeping moving beds above us but that was a late morning for us (around 10AM-11AM). I was extremely impressed with the service and highly recommend this resort. We intend to go back sometime in Nov. or Dec. We loved the resort so much and the friends we met that we didn't leave to go to Cozumel or PDC. I'm a very picky person so I hope this helps! Have a wonderful time! PS. We were there just 6 weeks ago.