Search

Riu Cancun

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riu Cancun

Does anyone have any information on the new Riu Cancun? I believe it is scheduled to open this summer. I am not familiar with Cancun so would appreciate comments as the desirability of the location, etc.
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:10 AM

I asked the same question yesterday but I have had no responses. The web page stated it would open on 16 May. I would also like info on the exact location. I had called a travel agent also, who has not gotten back to me as of yet. They had a great promo price. It seems it is part of the "Riu" chain.
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Have you tried the Riu website? That is where I found the great price listed. However, I've tried on several different occasions to use their reservation function to get a quote and I cannot get it to work.
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:17 AM

No I found the great price on applevacations.com Depends on your departure city I would supppose. Mine is the East coast. I will have to check out again, the web site.
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I was looking for December--roughly the 13th to the 20th--days flexible,just trying to hit the last week before Christmas prices kick in. Apple's website won't let me go out that far. Funjet's website will, but for Riu's the Jalisco in Puerto Vallarta is showing up as a better deal.
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:51 AM

I tried everywhere to find anything on the Riu Cancun. Riu.com comes up with the Riu Cancun. For some reason you are unable to book this hotel.It just does not work. There are no pictures of the hotel or location. I think it is a hotel they took over. If anyone can find out anything on this hotel please post. I see there are several posts with my problem. Thanks
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:03 AM

The only information I have been able to uncover about this hotel is that it's listed as a "new" property, a smaller hotel and it's located on the northern end of the hotel zone - approximately where the bend of the "7" is. I am not aware of any undeveloped space in that location so my guess is they've taken over another hotel and redone it. But, it could be there was space available and they did build a new smaller hotel there. Sorry, but I don't have any more definite information. I'm not going to Cancun until September this year. Will check it out then.
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

I'm unable to choose any property when using the riu.com site. Is it just me or does it just not work?
Anyway, thanks for the info that it does not appear to be a new property...that's more than I knew previously.
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:34 AM

So you think it is really and old hotel just taken over. I am sure this is a typo error, but on the General info page from Apple vacation where it says "Elevator" it says "none." (Tell me this isn't true on 15 floors!!) This doesn't even seem safe to me. I went into the Riu page and it did allow me to make reservatons for the month of June.