Reload this Page >

Rio - Safe, Inexpensive and Relaxing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 03:36 AM
George

Thanks to all of the wonderful people who post on this board (Dondiego, CariocaRio and others) my partner and I just returned from a wonderful Xmas to New Year's Break in Rio. In fact, we had such a good time that we are going back next year.<BR><BR>Here is some feedback that may help others:<BR><BR>Lodging - we stayed at the Sheraton, which is a beautiful property with a great on-site full gym (no execuse for not working out). We walked each morning from our hotel to Ipanema each day and had no problems (about a 30 minute walk along the beachfront)..very safe and scenic. The cab fare on the return amounted to about $3 US. Taxi's are very cheap in Rio but make sure you ask them to turn on the meter; otherwise they will try to overcharge you.<BR><BR>Food - the food overall was excellent and inexpensive. Our favorites were Porcao for Brazilian barbecue and Yemanja for Bahian. At Porcao the total for 2 rounds of drinks, full meal and dessert amounted to $40 US for two. A meal like that here would amount to $100. The best bargain for quick meals were at the food court in the Rio Sul Mall, where we had two Chinese buffets including sushi and sodas for $9 US for two.<BR><BR>Beaches - We went to the gay section of Ipanema beach each day although we did walk along both Ipanema and Copacabana. Both beaches are nice but I found Ipanema to be more quaint and more upscale. The cost of renting two chairs with an umbrella each day was 10 Reals ($3 US). Although the number of vendors passing by throughout the day sold everything from food to bikini's to hammocks they were not aggressive as in Mexico. No pressure at all.<BR><BR>Safety - I didn't wear any rings or a watch but my partner did and we had no problems. By day two we were more relaxed walking around at night then we are at home or along South Beach. We walked along the beachfront and throughout Ipanema every night sometimes very late and had no problems at all. It truley is very safe!!! <BR><BR>Language - although most Brazilians don't speak English those that do did would &quot;jump in&quot; to help when we were conversing with someone who didn't English. This happened in restaurants, in the mall and even New Year's Eve in Copacabana when trying to order a drink from a street vendor. We never received any attitude from anyone for not knowing Portuguese, although since we are returning next year we are going to attempt to learn more.<BR><BR>For those of you considering Rio...don't hold back..GO NOW before it becomes too popular. We travel extensively and it's not often that we go back to the same place twice but we are definitely going back next year for Xmas to New Year's. It's a real GEM!!

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Don

George, great travel report, sounds like you had a great time. Going back next year? Sounds like you caught the bug.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:42 AM
George

Yes Don I did &quot;catch the bug&quot; in Rio and thanks to your great feedback over the past year on this board, we really had such a great trip!!<BR><BR>Btw...since you go so often, have you ever looked into the real estate market down there...just curious as to what a small 1 BR would be in Ipanema?

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 03:07 AM
bobby

What a great post. Rio is the best. Once you go to Rio you always come back. Happy New year.<BR><BR>Bobby

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Don

George, I really don't have good information on the real estate market, never looked into it for myself. I did hear of someone I know who recently bought a studio in Copacabana I think in the low $20,000 range. You can email [email protected], Bel Garcia, she may be able to give you information as she works in the real estate business.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Howard

Thanks for the trip report, and glad you had a good time. We were ever so close to going to Rio this past October, but ended up having a good time in Ecuador instead. Perhaps in the future. I wouldn't mind being there right now, since it is freezing where I love.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Dilermando

Glad to see you enjoyed so much your stay in Rio de Janeiro. Don't forget our country offers so much beyond Rio de Janeiro: historic places (some of them nicely restored), wonderful scenery and always a warm welcome. So come back again, try other places !

Old May 18th, 2003, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
t
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 01:27 PM

i AM GOING THERE ALONE FOR NEW YEAR, IS THIS VERY DANGEROUS?, CHEAP AND CLEAN LODGING IN A QUIET AND WELL LOCATED ZONE?
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 01:39 AM

A one bedroom flat in Iraja costs US$5,000 and this includes an armed guard on the gate so there is probably a small annual service charge in addition.

I would think that a similar flat in Barra would cost more like US$25,000 and on Ipanema, due to the lack of real estate, it will cost more.

US$50,000 should get you a nice place that is pretty cntral though. Go outside Rio and $50,000 will get you loads.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 09:48 PM

I have to say I was absolutely delighted to read this review. I publish a non-commercial gay scene guide for Rio de Janeiro and it’s really encouraging to hear how much people enjoyed their visit. I often get asked what’s it for me to do all this work for no financial gain; it’s not all about money. I love this city and this my way of sharing its beauty.

P. 

www.riogaylife.com