Rio Info

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 08:50 AM
Billie Jo Jack

Rio Info

Thinking about going to Rio for a vacation. Need lots of info and help. Need info on finding a cheap flight and a decent hotel, on the beach. Any kind of info would be great. Thinking about maybe doing 2 weeks and doing some kind of a tour any recommendations and prices.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 12:43 PM
Roberto

Hi Billie. <BR>What do you think about to stay at the house of a Brazilian family? <BR>If it's a good idea, contact me. I give you more details.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 04:35 PM
Michael from New York

I got my airline tickets direct from Varig. Booked over the internet. I paid 560 US plus taxes from New York. I left on March 13th and returned today. You can buy a guide book and study it before you leave. For ideas about what to do. However the main areas to stay are either Ipanema or Copacabana. Just run a search for Hotels in either place. <BR> <BR>Corcovado is the Huge statue of Christ the Redeemer which is high on a mountain top and overlooks the city.Sugar Loaf is the mountain that is reached by cable car and is usually in most of the photos you will see. The Jardim Botanica is a fabulous place to walk through a fabulous park filled with natural plants. You can go to the horse races at the Joquei Club or you can see futeball (soccer) at Maracana - probably the world's biggest stadium. <BR> <BR>The hotels will be able to help you book any tour. Each tour to Corcovado, or Sugar Loaf involves pick up at the hotel and delivery back to the hotel. Such tours are usually a hald day each and will run you about 50 reals a person. However the exchange rate of dollars for reals is very, very good at this time. 50 Reals is actually only 25 US or less. Problem with going without a tour is your taxi driver will not speak English...and you will not know if he is taking the best route to get their. Take the tour. <BR> <BR>Nightlife is up to you. People make an evening of going out to dinner. And they start late. <BR> <BR>You have to do some preliminary research on your own...I havent any idea about what you like...do some research..then maybe you might have some specific questions. I stayed at the Mar Ipanema in Ipanema - which is the nicest part of Rio. And I stayed at The Miramar Palace and the Luxor Regente on Aveneida Atlantica in Copacabana. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps... <BR> <BR>Michael from New York

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 03:57 PM
CoolWiz

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil is a marvelous City. No one who has visited will tell you any different. It is named as one of the "50 Greatest Places of a Lifetime" by National Geographics Traveler. <BR> <BR>Pulsating Rio, synonymous with the hit song "Girl from Ipanema", the dramatic view from Pao d'Acucar (Sugar Loaf) Mountain, Christ the Redeemer (Cristo Redentor) at Cocovado Mountain, and the wild and outrageous Carnaval (Brazilian spelling for Carnival) celebrations, is a city of stunning architecture, good museums, 50 miles of great beaches and marvelous food. <BR> <BR>Carnaval in 2001 is 24-27 February with parades of 14 Special Samba Schools on 25-26 Feb from 9 pm to 5 am (actually closer to 6:30 am). Never have I seen such lavish costumes (from US$100 to $85,000 each), such extravagant and elaborate floats, so many particpants (thousands march down the up to 80 minutes parade) and with 85,000 audience in the Sambadrome. Tickets are from US$200 - US$1,600 with scalping of many times the amount. <BR> <BR>Pix of the flamboyant costumes and floats posted at: <BR> http://members3.clubphoto.com/cool270985/ <BR> <BR>Enjoy.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 03:45 AM
Erin

For in depth info on Rio, things to see, places to stay, where to eat...go to www.ipanema.com. The is the most comprehensive website about Rio and you can even book your hotel through the site (I've done this twice). Good luck and enjoy!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Claudia

Hello Billie <BR>I´m brasilian and live in Rio. <BR>If you want detailed informations please send me a email . <BR>Rio is beautiful but I think that 2 weeks is to much to stay here as we are a big city. <BR>You can go to the beaches or mountains a couple of hours far from here. <BR>Or go to another state too. <BR> <BR>Claudia

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 01:25 PM
debbie

Hi, 3 of my girlfriends and myself are headed to Rio in late April. We are interested in any recommendations for clubs/ nightlife venues as well as a decent hotel, close to the beach for around 100-120 us dollars per night? And what would you recommend, Impanema or Copacabana to stay? 1 other qestion...I was think of a side trip to Buzios..would anyone recommend this for a day or 2? Any info is helpful. Thx!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:19 PM
Eric

Hey Debbie, I'am headed down there the second week of May with some friends. I would appreciate a review of what you thought, and some places to hang out,day and night. <BR> Thanks Eric