Rio in August/September 2003

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 05:54 PM
GS

Rio in August/September 2003

Am seeking info on Rio. My husband and I plan to go there for my big 40. We would like to stay on the beach where there is alot going on. We enjoy: dancing, shopping, musuems, walking, and more. Any suggestions on hotels to stay? What area is safe? What is the weather like the end of August/first of September? What did you like/dislike in Rio? What did you see/do? All suggestions appreciated. Thank You.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:46 AM
mp

Hi, great way to celebrate b'day! Get a portuguese pocket lang. book, I did and it sure came in handy. Museums, art galleries and libraries are down town. At the music library they have 1st edition mozart compositions you can handle if that is your thing. the museum is very nice. You might want to tandem hang glide off one of those mts while there ~ your hotel should be able to help you line that up. You will hear lots about 'safety' issues but it is like anyplace, just be street wise. Shopping is fun and it sounds Hokey but the H. Stern jewelry is a good stop because there are stones you will be able to get there no place else. Take a city tour to get your bearings and do the usual touristy stuff and you will know where to go back to shop etc. Also take bug repellent because they are battling the denge fever from the mosquitoes ~ again, sure you will be fine! Have fun! MP

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Surlok

Dengue won't be a problem in September. As a tropical disease, it only happens during the Summer, a little later, or little adter. As our Summer starts in December and ends in March, have no fear of dengue.

As for hotel suggestions, knowing your budget would help.

Regards,

S

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:27 AM
GS

Hotels: like to stay on the beach in Rio. No more than $100.00 US a night. What is Rio money called and is there a site that shows how to convert? Thank You.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Don

GS, try this site for hotel and other info: WWW.BLAMEITONRIO4TRAVEL.COM. I would reccomend 3 hotels:
The Luxor regente, 4 stars about $100
Miramar Palace Hotel, 4 stars about $100
The Debret Hotel 3 stars, $55 for standard room in back $85 for front room with view. The currency is called Real and it is about 2.35 to the dollar. Aug/Sep weather is nice between 70 - 80 degress a day, it is their winter and off season. Rio may not be that crowded but that may be a good thing. All those hotels are in Copacabana on the beach in the best area. Check out more strings on this board by clicking on just Brazil for the past couple of months there is plenty of info in previous post about food and hotels.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 10:23 AM
don

Topper for Angela

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Flavia

Hi, altought Copacabana has the nicest hotels, which are Copacabana Palace and Le Meridien, if you aprecciate beaches, the best one is very close to Copacabanda and is called Ipanema. Is were the "nicest" people from Rio lives. Weather is going to be around 60/80F, mostly sunny but not as hot as in the summer when it reaches 100F.
I believe you can find good hotels until USD 100 because now the Real/ USD exchange is R$ 2.80 for 1 USD...