Search

Rio for a family trip?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:37 PM
MaureenB

Rio for a family trip?

My husband and I are thinking about going to Rio with our two teens next summer. My husband has a conference there, and we could extend it into a family vacation.
We've never been to Latin America, so it would be a big adventure. We'd probably be able to stay about 12 nights.
My first question is whether or not Rio is a good place for our family to visit. I guess I have a notion that it's very jet-setty and high fashion-- in which case we wouldn't fit in! Can anyone describe its ambiance for me?
If we do go, we'd want to move to one or two other places for 3 or 4 nights each. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I have a notion that it's very jet-setty and high fashion-- in which case we

Wrong, Rio is a very relaxed city..it is for everydody. You will have a great time. It all depends where you go and what you do!!!!!
Just an advice. when it comes to dressing and sexual lifestyles, THEY ARE very open minded and not oppressed like most in the USA. If you are bothered by skimpy bathing suits, do not go. Ipanema is very GAY friendly, if that bothers you, stay home.
It is an incredible country.. food is great, natural beauty is spectacular, people are extremely friendly
Go in www.google.com and check PARATY, a two hour bus ride from RIO and spectacular ....

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:40 AM
MaureenB

Thanks for your reply. I have been researching Rio, and liking what I've found. Our "kids" will be 17 and 20 next summer, so old enough to deal with cultural differences.
The conference would put us at the InterContinental Hotel, which looks nice. Is it?
Would you suggest we have a car? Are there good daytrips from Rio where we could see the inland tropical environment? Another location to stay several nights? Any suggestions are welcome.

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 08:07 AM

I do not think you need a car in RIO, if you enjoy walking, it is a perfect city for that..most of the walking is either in COPACABANA , IPANEMA and LEBLON. Also buses are really good and cheap, most tourist walk. Food is excellent and cheap, specially at the all you can eat places.
Not so sure about the Intercontinental location, but sure it is well located..
THERE IS NO NUDITY, BUT THEY DRESS ACCORDING TO THE WEATHER AND VERY SEXY LOOKING.
I PERSONALLY LIKE PARATY, IT IS 2 HOURS BY BUS FROM RIO AND BEAUTIFULL..NICE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS. PARATY HAS BEEN DECLARED BY UNITED NATIONS A PATRIMONY OF HUMANITY.
YOUR KIDS SURE WILL LOVE THE BEACH IN COPACABANA AND IPANEMA, LOTS OF PEOPLE PLAYING VOLLEYBALL AND SOCCER...
LIKE IN ANY BIG CITY, YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL AND AWARE OF OTHER PEOPLE..
NIGHT TIME I DO NOT LIKE COPACABANA, TOO MANY PROSTITUTES BUT IPANEMA IS IDEAL AT NIGHT TIME, LOTS OF RESTAURANTS AND NICE STORES...YOU DAUGTHER WILL GO CRAZY WITH THE FASHION AND NOT EXPENSIVE.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 08:13 AM

PLACES TO SEE IN RIO:
1- THE CHRIST
2- THE PAU DE AZUCAR (SUGAR MOUNT LOAF)
3- THE ECOLOGICAL GARDENS
4- ON SUNDAYS THE HIPPIE FAIR IN IPANEMA...NICE THINGS TO BUY AND FOOD TO TASTE.
5- A DAY TRIP TO POLIANAPOLIS
THERE HAVE BEEN POSTING ABOUT ARRIVING IN BRASIL AND INMIGRATION TAKING PICS AND FINGERPRINTS...DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT..IT TAKES SOMETIME BUT NO ONE WILL HARRASS YOU...BRASILIANS ARE VERY FRIENDLY AND THEY DO NOT HARRASS AMERICANS..
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 08:13 AM
MaureenB

I Googled Paraty and it does look beautiful. I'm looking for a place on the beach, someplace we could be happy for 5 or 6 nights, with lots of natural beauty to see there, in addition to beach time and downtime for us all. Thanks for the recommendation. Any other ideas you can provide will also be appreciated. Now I'm getting excited about Brazil. Do you live there?

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 09:52 AM

This place is amazing:

www.pousadadosandi.com.br

especially if you get one of the balcony rooms.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 10:04 AM

The Intercontinental is perfect for a family as it has a big pool and is away from the hustle and bustle of Copacabana and Ipanema and it is secure but do not wander on the baech across the street alone as it is near the biggest favela in Rio, Rocincha. I have been to Ipanema many times and can't say I have ever noticed any gays but they say that there are on the beach at Farme de Moeada street. You may want to look into Buzios as a side beach trip for several days look at the Colanna Park hotel. Be careful to let your kids roam free in Rio unless they are very very street smart, its not the place for some country kids to be on the loose to be taken advantage of. Do not rent a car, this is not the type of place for US drivers unless you are a race car or professional driver. Taxis are cheap. Try and learn some basic Portuguese.Your kids will love Buzios as the baeches are filled with young brazilian tourists and tourists from all over the world plus it is safe and fun.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 11:05 AM
MaureenB

Oh, my gosh-- I am getting totally hooked on Brazil! So beautiful. It could be ideal for us. We usually go to Hawaii for beach time, but this looks like a fantastic destination. Thanks so much for your ideas, especially about places not to go and how to keep kids safe.
Dondiega, you're so right-- we're not race car drivers, so will skip the car!
Keep ideas coming, please.

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 11:26 AM

Maureen, PARATY is not the place that you walk from the beach to the Ocean. You walk to the pier and for about $15. US dollars you get your own boat with sailor (driver) to take you from island to island...all surrounded by beautiful mountains and crystal waters. I highly recommend this hotel in PARATY
www.hotelcoxixo.com.br

Also look for porto de galinhas..it is beautiful... and beach in front of hotels. www.portodegalinhas.com.br

I want your comments after you come back from BRAZIL... beauty of country and power of US dollars, will make you fall in love easy...good bye hawaii.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 11:38 AM

another good site www.ipanema.com
go in and look at the RIO map, that way when we start throwing ideas, you know that COPACABA, LEBLOn,LEME AND IPANEMA ARE one right next to the other and are walkable...
I am in the USA, Miami
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:28 PM
MaureenB

miguelgcuadra, thank you for all your thoughts. Is Buzios a place to stay for a week and have easy beach access from the hotel? Because we'd like a place where we can just walk to and from the beach during the day, at our whim.
I have already received a very nice e-mail from the Casagrande Hotel (www.casagrandejfb.com) there, just 50 meters from the J Fernandez beach, sea views, good prices and looks very nice. Do you know it? Are you from Brazil?

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:32 PM

For quick beach access, Buzios is completely ideal!

check out:

www.buziosonline.com.br
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Hello Maureen, no am not Brazilian, went for first time 2 yrs ago and fell in love with the country.
I have never been to BUZIOS, but have heard excellent things about it.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 02:17 PM

I have been to Buzios several times and it has about 23 different beaches all with easy access by foot or by renting a dune buggy which many people do. It is only 2.5 hours outside of Rio and is an ideal destination with great restaurants, nightlife and the best beaches. Just google it and see all the sites, the one mentioned above is a good one. This place is safe it is called the St Tropez of south america, discoverd by Brigit Bardot.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 02:20 PM

Rio is a fabulous place to visit. I loved it and plan to return next year. IMHO the Intercontinental is not is the best location. It is away from everything. If you are able to change to a different hotel after your husband's conference, go to a hotel in Ipanema or Leblon across the street from the beach. You will be near great restaurants, night clubs, shopping and in a very safe area of Rio.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 05:12 PM

I second that about the Intercontinental - if you can switch, I would FOR SURE to Ipanema. If you need help with hotels, let me know your budget and I will give you some suggestions.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 05:36 PM

You guys are right about the location of the Intercontinental but if I was with my kids I would prefer it because they can walk around freely without you having to worry about them, the compound is secure. Plus the pool is nice and clean and great for swimming.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 05:54 PM
MaureenB

We'll need to stay at the InterContinental where the conference is. Then we can move after those 5 days, to another location.
The InterContinental is at the beach, I hope--?? That will be our priority.
We aren't interested in being in the hustle and bustle of the city proper. And it will be nice to let the teens be on their own at the hotel, and not worry, because they really aren't street-wise per se.
Buzios looks great. Any other favorite beaches or hotels?

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 08:21 PM

Rio is awesome. You can't help but have a great time. After all, there's even beachside cabanas selling caipirinhas, coconuts, or cold beer 24 hours a day. Awesome scenery, great casual atmosphere, low prices.

I have one suggestion for a side trip if you're into history and culture: Ouro Preto. The place is very cool --- an old colonial mining town set in the mountains, maybe a 4-hour bus ride from Rio. Lots of excellent 1st class boutique hotels, lots of charm, lots of local color.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -