Rio de Janeiro - tour or guide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shall be at end of July for a weekeend in Rio. I was there 4 years ago for 1 1/2 days , and I visited with a tour the Sugar Loaf and Corcovado.
Now, I would like to visit the center of the town, to see the arhitecture. However, I could not find tours like this for Saturday or Sunday.

Can somebody tell somebody tell me please if it is a good ideea to visit Petropolis or Angra dos Reis?

Do you can recommed a driver / guide to take me to these destinations or to visit the city center?

Thank you.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Hi, I live in Rio.
Try the site www.rio.rj.gov.br that is the official turist site for Rio and has an english version.
Petropolis has two interesting things: the Imperial Museum and Santos Dumont house(we consider him the father of aviation).
Angra dos Reis is sand and beach. The city itself is not beautiful. The islands and the sea are gorgeous!
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much,Simone. In this case I would like to visit Petropolis, but I am not interested in Angra.
I shall be for a full week in Nova Friburgo for technical assistance in a plant there, and in the weekend, becfore I'll go home, I'll be in Rio.

I found in internet that Nova Friburgo is in the mountains; it seems to be a nice town. Is it safe?
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM

I think itīs safer than Rio and Petropolis. Itīs much colder than Rio also. Some people consider it the best climate in the world.
Have a nice trip.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks agin, Simone.
I found in this forum the names of two guides and I have contacted them for my free weekend in Rio. I hope to see interesting things, Brazil is a beautiful country.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:16 AM

The first time I was in Rio I went to petropolis on a tour booked at the hotel.
Like Simone said, Angra dos Reis is beautiful but only if you want beach. The city is ugly. Apart from that the island and beaches are lovely. If you stay there I highly recommend you the Pestana Angra Resort. It's gorgeous! I have a review and some photos of it at tripadvisor.com