Rio Carnival with Kids

Jan 26th, 2003, 05:56 AM
pat

Rio Carnival with Kids

Going to rio carnival 2003 with kids. Is it a good idea to go to the Sambadrome parade with kids? Where should we sit? What other recommendations for sightseeing in Rio with kids?

Jan 27th, 2003, 06:23 AM

The "desfile" (parade) of Escolas de Samba, in the Sambódromo, is an incredible show. But I would not suggest it for kids, because it is very, very tiring: starting around 8 h pm, it ends by sunrise, sometimes a little bit latter, not mentioning the show resumes the following night. Seats are not very comfortable (there are cabins, but very expensive). Some major attractions: the magnificent views (mountains of Pão de Açúcar and Corcovado), beautiful urban beaches (Copacabana, Ipanema), historic places/monuments/museums. You may visit them on your own. Taxis are cheap (however, make sure the taxi driver starts running the meter). There are air-conditioned urban buses, there is a metro. General information and photos: www.ipanema.com (portuguese / english) www.bondinho.com.br (portuguese / english). Elementary precautions: hide your money, don't use jewlery, don't carry with you important stuff (air tickets, passport, documents, expensive photographic apparatus). Ask for advice before you consider strolling, just in case. Have a nice stay in Rio de Janeiro !
Jan 27th, 2003, 08:34 AM

Hello Pat,

just like the other message I would not suggest you to come to the Sambodromo with little kids, ..but it depends sure on the age of them. For example I wouldn't come with kids under 7-8 years, but the age ahead I think will be okay for some hours.
As the poster before said, the parade of the samba schools is one of the most exciting shows round the world...amazing and unforgettable!

Of course you do not have to stay (if you are with kids for example) the whole night to see the parade, maybe you will get tired after the 4 or 5. samba school, so you simply go home to your hotel, no problem!
I think that there are some comfortable seats but they are very expensive, called "Frisas", ..but now they are almost sold out.
But for tourists who want to see the parade there are seats too, ..the Arquibancada Turistica I think very expensive ..
I have chosen the "setor 5" arquibancadas when I have been there for Carnival twice and it was okay for sitting and seeing the parade, very good local to see the parade from above...and extra fun 'cause you are among natives, so this get's more exciting!
But unfortunately my friend from Rio told me that this sector was just sold out at the first day...so probably you should try to get tickets for the "setor 4" which is situated more at the end of the parade, but also a good seat, and besides it is only 70 brazilian Reais/per person!

There is a brazilian Ticket-webpage where you maybe can get the tickets for the Sambodromo:
http://www.funbynet.com.br/sessoes.asp?evento=3075

Good luck and have fun there!
carioquinha
Jan 28th, 2003, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the input. So what is a good way to see some Samba with kids, ages 4 and 9, if not at the Sambadrome? Visit a samba school via a tour? Go to the Plataforma for a tourist show? Or, will there be enough music around on the streets during the day and early evening?
Feb 1st, 2003, 10:45 AM

Hello Pat again,

as you said your kids are 4 and 9 I had the idea (though I have never seen it personally yet) that there are also some children samba schools in Rio (only children parading) which are parading always on Friday evening (28. February) 19h at the Sambodromo too...
do not know where the tickets will be sold, probably at the Sambodromo itself the evening itself, ...so maybe this is a solution for you?

Do not know the Plataforma 1 tourist show, but for me it would not fit anymore, 'cause it is not only samba, it shows a brighter music of all Brazil, from Lambada to samba, to amazone dancing, Forro, etc....very touristic ...but do not know if for kids it would be okay!
http://www.plataforma1.com.br/default.htm

Visiting a samba school with kids I have my doubts too, because it is always loud and full, especially before the Carnival starts, ...I think I would not go there with kids! But for sure it is a wonderful experience for adults!
But to go there to a samba school is only before Carnival, almost all schools will have their last and biggest rehearsals on Friday evening, ...and the winner of the contest in Sambodromo will be partying of course the whole day Wednesday after Carnival (then it will be very crowded, no matter which school will be winner!) ...but the other schools I am almost sure will be closed then until July-August of 2003!

During Carnival (Saturday, Sunday)there are some music-groups and parading at Copacabana beach (Av. Atlantica) ..around 17-19 h to night....and in the centre of Rio there will parade some groups in fantasies and with samba too....!
I would recommend you - as your kids are really young- to see some music groups around the evening in the Centre or at Copacabana and then heading to your hotel, seeing the parade in Sambodromo on TV- for free!!!

Any other questions?
Greetings
Evelyn