Search

Estancia experience from BA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Estancia experience from BA

I am looking to book an estancia for two nights for my husbands birthday. Im in BA now and there are literally hundreds to choose from so Im a bit boggled. I just want to make sure it is just right as it is such a great occasion. I am wondering in anyone has particular experience with any one that could help me narrow down the choices. We would want to be picked up at the airport as we will be flying in from Iguazu and dropped back at the other airport at the end. We would like to experience riding and ranch life as well as great food and a warm atmosphere, probably 4 star.

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Check out these comments, irecommend:

http://tinyurl.com/3xna57

However, this "estancia" could be a little more "rustic" than what you are looking for.

I trust you are having a great time in our country and look forward to your trip report.

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

We are having a great time thanks.

I did check out that estanica and that was one the I could find lots of info on. Ill wait another day or two and make a decision. Thanks for you post.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 05:34 AM

Since you are in BA, I suggest you check out their website and call Ana Peña, the estancia's owner at her home phone 4723-2880 indicated there.

Tell her what you are looking for and I'm pretty sure she'll sincerely tell you whether or not their place is what you want.

As I said before, it could err on the rustic side.

http://www.estancialosdoshermanos.com/index3.htm
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:25 AM

We have just returned from San Antonio de Areco. Our itinerary was very similar to yours, with the Iguazu stop, then back to the Jorge
Newberry Aeropuerto. I highly recommend staying in or near this town for a wonderful experience, especially if you can do it over the weekend. Whether you stay at an estancia is up to you, but as I've recommended in another thread, if I were to "do it again", I would stay at one of the hotels or b&b's in San Antonio de Areco, then plan a day at the estancia with riding and the asado. It is easy to do this separately. Four Star is a relative term, and you may be disappointed at an estancia as an accommodation depending on your standards. "Great food" is also a relative term, but there are some very interesting options in the town of San Antonio de Areco, including General Ramirez and another atmospheric pulperia. Fodor's lists a hotel in San Antonio that has a "hip vibe" in San Antonio...I would definitely give it a try. Best of all worlds, luxurious accommodations with good access to a day at an Estancia...I recommend El Ombu de Areco. By the way, we arranged for a remises from the Airport to San Antonio. Worked out very well. Have a great Time!
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 09:53 AM

I stayed two nights at El Ombu and had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and plentifule. My room was lovely - not like a hotel, but like staying at the ranch of friends. I did have an ensuite bathroom.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM

Hi irecommend..
I wish I knew of more estancias. I have heard about Los Dos Hermanos for a long time and Santa Susana..I like the sound of El Ombu
http://www.estanciaelombu.com/eombu.htm

Look at this one though

http://www.elvinten.com.ar/ENG/index_eng.htm
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett, you dont have a broken had do you?

I know , a little off topic but I have been watching for "you and pup" on our walk abouts LOL
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

That does look an interesting choice too, El Vinten with it being on the water.And the food!

Thanks for all help.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 03:33 AM

The Estancia recommendation looks fine...wish we had known about this one a few months back. Most Estancia experiences we considered were a bit more expensive.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 07:34 AM

irecommend.. a broken hand? no

We have been sort of hiding out from the heat, we go to the Park with Pup then back inside.
Today we were out dodging raindrops and now we are all inside

We are almost always in Plaza Francia in the afternoons.. that is Pups favorite park .. you know what kind he is.. he is one of a kind so you can't miss him..

I hope we see you soon
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett
It was hot on the weekend. yesterday we walked all the way to Palermo Soho, toured about and walked all the way back. I will sweat this weight off somehow!
It is heavenly walking on the weekend when the streets are calm!
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Okay,
I need to decide is the "splurge" worth it.
To stay at El Ombu for two nights, (our daughter will be joining us) and transfers to and from the estancia will be about $1400.
That seems a bit steep. It is costing us all less than that to fly to Iguazu and stay for two nights.

Will it be worth it? If youve been there maybe you could let me know. Thanks

Old Feb 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM

teach2 travel said she has been there..
< teach2travel
Date: 02/15/2009, 01:53 pm
I stayed two nights at El Ombu and had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and plentifule. My room was lovely - not like a hotel, but like staying at the ranch of friends. I did have an ensuite bathroom. >

My husband and I are contemplating going to El Vinten..
I have a birthday coming in March .. it might be nice to getaway.

We spent much of the weekend in Belgrano..
It was nice walking those cooler shady streets, quiet and peaceful..

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
MYP

Loved loved loved El Ombu!! My boyfriend and I went in December 2007 and had originally planned to stay one night. Luckily they had a cancellation and we were able to stay for 2 nights. The food was fabulous (even though I'm not a huge beef person) and the horse back riding was fun. We sat and drank their wine for hours in the afternoon. I would love to go back there...totally fell in love with it.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM

We also stayed at Estancia El Ombu 2 years ago, but just for the day. Very relaxing and enjoyable. Yes, we would go back again.