Search

Renting a 4x4 now...!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting a 4x4 now...!

Hi everyone...yet again a change in plans! Just wondering if you could help me out with any info regarding renting a 4x4 and travelling in Costa Rica.

We need a 4x4 for sure...who is best to rent from?...what 4x4 do you recommend is best?

...how bad are the roads (especially SJ to Montezuma and Drake Bay area)?

Is theft a really big issue?

How much is gas (by liter or gallon)?

Are their rest areas you can pull over and catch a nap at...?

Other warnings or info you may have could be helpful...what routes have some of you done?

Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:08 AM

We've gotten the best prices with Tricolor. Have had good experience multiple times with Tricolor and Dollar both.

Most roads are decent. By decent I mean there may be some potholes, but the driving in Costa Rica is slow, so you'll have plenty of time to watch and avoid! Some roads are in very good condition.

San Jose to Puntarenas is a nice 2 hour drive. There you catch the ferry to Paquera. From Paquera to Montezuma the roads are not as good, but still very driveable--not unlike rural paved farm roads in the Midwest!

Driving to Drake Bay is another issue. Most people choose to fly. You can drive as far as Sierpe, I believe (we haven't been to that side of the Osa); but from there you'll park and go by boat that last leg down the Rio Sierpe and to your lodging on Drake Bay. So you'll be paying for a rental car that isn't being used for a few days.

Definitely theft from cars is a problem. Never leave anything in your car when the car is unattended or when you cannot see it every second. So, yes, theft is certainly a big issue for those who don't take precautions!

Gas prices--not sure these days. I'm sure quite high. Gas is purchased by the liter, of course. We were in the Bahamas last week and it was about $3.50 for the equivalent of a gallon. Probably very close to the same, perhaps a little less. The good news is that it doesn't seem expensive because of slow driving. When it takes you 3-6 hours to arrive at your destination you would expect to have to fill up somewhere along the way. But if you've only been driving 30-40 mph (60-80km), you won't be using much gas! And you certainly won't have traveled as far as it seems like you have!

Haven't really seen any "rest areas", although I suppose if you became really sleepy you could pull over at any of the little roadside sodas for a nap. The level of alertness required for driving in CR usually prevents boredom! You probably won't have any trouble staying awake. If you are too tired to stay awake, by all means, PULL OVER! Buen Viaje!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:45 AM

Gas prices in CR are approx. $3.10 super, a bit less for regular and diesel ...ouch! We have a diesel vehicle and it's excellent on fuel mileage, something to consider when you rent.

Lisa in Manuel Antonio

PS: Hello shillmac! Thanks for info on the Bahamas. I don't feel so bad paying $3/gallon when it's $3.50 in the Bahamas ... that's reallly an stinger!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:30 AM

We've rented from both Elegante and Adobe without any problems and found it easiest (and cheaper) to have them deliver car to our SJ hotel (that is, if you're staying a night before taking off). For 2 of us we've always had the little 4 x 4 Terios or thereabouts. And -- this is the voice of experience speaking -- DO NOT leave anything you care about visible in your car. Won't matter if it's locked. We had ALL our luggage stolen from our locked baby SUV at high noon in a lot directly on a busy street next to the busy Cafe Cappucino in Cartago. This is something we would never do in our DC neighborhood where theft from auto is the biggest crime. But we wanted to stop for lunch on our way back to SJ and so took a chance. . . wouldn't do it again! Otherwise, we find driving in CR a fun adventure. Not much traffic outside cities, beautiful scenery, nice people.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:21 AM

We are going to Costa Rica April 4th. We decided to rent from thrifty. They were a little more expensive than tricolor but still a good deal and I think their insurance coverage is better. I believe I am getting liability for about 15 a day with zero deductable. I am using my american express premium rental plan to cover the collision damage waiver. Tricolor had great prices but from what i understand their coverage is 80/20 WITH A BIG deductible. Anyway, as you price around look into insurance costs and what it covers.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:53 AM

Hi Lisa--yep, it was nice (really to cool to get in the water with temps in the upper 70's most days), but lacked the beauty of Costa Rica! Alas. . .
I appreciated the very positive attitude from the people on Grand Bahama Island in their brave and determined attempts to recover from devasting hurricane damage.

Glover, I thought you'd have something to say about that theft issue! Hope all is going well with you and yours!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:44 PM

We have rented three times with Dollar in Costa Rica and have been ver pleased with their service. I would not advise driving to Drake Bay. We drove from San jose all over and drove from Quepos to Puerto Jimenez. The drive was too long and even though we had checked with people in Puerto Jimeenez about road conditions (We drove all the way to Bosque del Cabo) there was a road washed out and we had to take a very dicey detour. Also there are long stretches of nothing. If you had car trouble I don't know what you would do. Last year we flew down, much smarter.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 12:47 PM

Is there a car rental in Puerto Jimenez? We're thinking of flying in and then driving to Manuel Antonio on our way north. We'd need to p/u car in PJ and return it to SJ.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 02:17 PM

no car rental in Puerto Jimenez drop only I think it about 90 to 150 for a drop off.