Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Rental Car or other suggestion for SJ > La Paz > Arenal

Old Nov 16th, 2022, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I are travelling to Costa Rica over Christmas school vacation. We arrive in SJ late the night of December 20th. Ideally, I'd like to stay overnight near the airport, then drive the next day to visit Volcan Poas, La Paz Waterfall Gardens, and maybe a coffee tour, and then end up in La Fortuna/Arenal for three nights, (eventually continuing to Monteverde and then Manual Antonio). It seems it would be useful to have a car for the first leg of the trip, and then to leave the car in La Fortuna and do the rest of the vacation by shuttle/day-tours. (I'd prefer not to drive the whole vacation and my daughter is too young to drive.) I'm having trouble figuring out if this is a workable plan. It looks like Alamo has an office in La Fortuna, but booking on their site is a bit opaque regarding the insurance, etc costs. I'd prefer to go with a well-regarded local company. I heard that Mapache has an office in La Fortuna, but that is not a location listed for either pick up or drop of on their website. Adobe does not seem to have an office in La Fortuna, although I do find several online references to Adobe/La Fortuna. Can anyone offer some guidance, both about whether this seems like a sound plan, and also about which car rental agency would work best for a SJ pick-up and La Fortuna drop off? If there is an easier/better way to do this via shuttle or hiring drivers, I'm ALL ears about that as well! I have no great desire to rent a car, but I can't seem to find another way to leave SJ, do Poas/La Paz, and end up in La Fortuna, and then have the flexibility needed in La Fortuna/Arenal. Thank you!
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We always book private drivers through our hotels when we reserve them and then use taxis in town. The Arenal area is spread out though so taxis can add up. If you do drive, don't drive between cities at night or leave anything in your car unattended. There's also a shuttle service called Interbus; you can check their website to see if they go to the destinations you're interested in.