Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Vista del Valle, Drake Bay, Arenal & La Paz Trip Report

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from a week trip and hope I can help anyone out planning a trip as this site had helped me in planning an unforgetable vacation.

Day 1
Arrived San Jose 1pm and Enrique was waiting for us to take us to Vista del Valle. He was very nice and tried to talk to us with his limited English and our very limited Spanish. We stayed in the Exotic Woods Suite which was very comfortable, asian feel, nice bathroom with hairdryer (I knew I wouldn't have one for the next few days so was happy about this) and provided a wonderful view of the Valley. We didn't check out any of the other rooms, but this appeared to have the best view. I think there were 4 rooms considered part of the Exotic Woods Suites, all of which appeared to have a good view. We took the hike down to the 250 foot waterfall. The trail was a bit challenging due to the mud and makeshift ladder, but it was worth it. Dinner was fine. Chicken with a red sauce, mashed potatoes and vegetables. We had one good sized spidar visitor in the bathroom but we all stayed in our respective corners and all were fine.

Day 2
Next morning had a couple of breakfast choices and chose the more traditional rice and beans, eggs, plantains and cheese on a small tortilla. Enrique took us to the Sansa terminal at the international airport. Flight almost an hour late for the flight to Drake bay. Smooth flight, little rain but no major turbulence. Upon landing at the dirt and gravel Drake Bay airstrip were greeted by someone from La Paloma. He led us through the mud to a boat where 2 men from the lodge waited, put our bag in a plastic bag and headed out. The large waves we encountered upon exiting the inlet to the bay explained the plastic bag. It took the driver about 15 minutes to get the courage to just go for it. Surprisingly, we didn't even get wet. When we got to La Paloma, Katie, the owner's daughter, was there to greet us and show us around. Very beautiful, lush surroundings. We stayed in a Rancho which had a wonderful view of the Pacific, could hear the waves crashing on the rocks below. It was, as expected, humid, very, very humid. I was happy that I had a coolmax shirt to change into because I did feel like I was melting! We had lunch of chicken and rice and some of their home baked bread and watermelon juice and then took a walk along the coastline past Aguila de Osa and saw some Agouti and a variety of birds. We then went back for a drink and then for the 5 - 10 minute walk down to the beach. Very beautiful. Dinner is family style. We had a couple of choices. I had the sea bass with some type of fruit salsa which I really enjoyed. Katie talked to us about our activities for the next day and then we turned in for the night by 9.

Day 3
Awoke to the sun rising and the sounds of the howler monkeys a little after 5. Had breakfast which they will make just about any breakfast food you would like and headed out for the tour of Corcovado with our guide, Carlos and the 2 other couples. La Paloma has the standard 2 tours that come with the package. I liked not having to set up all of the details myself. Took 1/2 hour boat ride. In our 1st 4 hour hike, saw 3 types of monkeys, scarlet macaws, coati, many leafcutters, poison dart frog, morpho butterfly and I'm sure others I have forgotten, and of couse the scenery is spectacular. Was very muddy and rained some, but didn't effect our hike. Had lunch of sandwiches and then hiked to a waterfall. Just beautiful. Boat ride back and returned by 3. Relaxed on the deck of the main lodge building which is very beautiful with all of the different types of stained wood. Saw a giant Igauna, many birds and bats when it got dark. Had pasta with seafood for dinner. Was good. Again, asleep by 9.

Day 4
Again, up early with the howler monkeys, but was fine since we went to bed so early. Breakfast and then 50 minute ride to Cano Island. Saw humpback whale and dolphins on the way. Did some snorkeling. Had felt some irritating pickling on me but kept going. Saw lots of fish, felt more prickling. Our guide, Randall, had us come out because of the microscopic jellyfish in the water. That explained the prickling. We moved to another site and did enjoy the snorkeling, but the jellyfish were worse there. Really more annoying than anything else. Enjoyed checking out the hermit crabs on the beach, had lunch and hiked up the hill to the top of the island. Very lush forest. Saw a Basilisk. Randall told us no deadly snakes or mammals on the island. Also, if you've heard anything about pre-columbian artifacts, there are just a few sitting on a table by the ranger station. Also, the big spheres they talk about, all but one have been brought inland and the one remaining is on the other side of the island from the ranger station we went to. Was pretty and relaxing though. Fajita night for dinner. I was trying to be as ecologically friendly as possible, but after the 1st time I showered, my towel never dried and the sheets smelled mildewy when we got there and I just couldn't take it any more. I'm sure it was the mattress and the pillows that transferred the smell to the sheets, so we got clean sheets and put them on the bed right before going to sleep. It was nice to have a dry towel too. They do give you a sarong for drying off at the beach which is about the only thing that kind of dried for us. Also wanted to mention, these past 2 days did not feel as humid as the day we arrived.

-to be continued...
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 03:33 PM

plese do continue!! Enjoyed reading your post and can't wait to hear about the other parts..
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 06:24 PM

I love the vista del valle plantation also. It's my favorite airport area hotel. I have stayed there several times in various rooms and all have different charms. I recommend it highly. I look forward to hearing more about your trip.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 06:53 PM

Isn't the Osa amazing? Keep it comin'!
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Nice report.

Isn't the view from the Exotic Woods Suite fantastic...hummingbirds flying around near your hammock and hawks sort of sailing over the Canyon...not bad waking up to this !!!

The climb down to the waterfall is rather difficult and if it wasn't for roar of the waterfall becoming louder s you descend, you almost feel like climbing back up!!

Haven't been to Osa ,but I'll get there.

Will be waiting for your other postings.

Percy
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 08:33 PM

Blumen, Have you stayed anywhere else in or around Osa? If so, how did La Paloma compare? Also, did you see any monkeys (which kind) and scarlet macaws on the grounds of La Paloma? Finally, we are planning a trip to La Paloma. Is there anything in particular that you would recommend we do/see or don't do/see? Thanks, and look forward to reading the rest of your report.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

I do plan on finishing this report. I actually did but when I tried to post it there was an error and all was lost!

mtea - This was my first time on the Osa, so don't have anything to compare it to. Didn't have a chance to explore other lodges in Drake Bay. I would certainly go back; beautiful grounds, nice rooms and wonderful views in the rancho and the staff was great, but we did not see much wildlife on property. We saw an iguana, birds including toucan (no scarlet macaws on property). We saw agouti on the trail to town and other guests saw white faced monkeys along that trail and a snake on the way to the beach (don't know what kind). You could hear howler monkeys. I have read reports saying they saw monkeys and Scarlet Macaws on property, so they do make it out there. Did see white faced, spidar and howler monkeys on the Corcovado tour and Scarlet Macaws. Sounds like you see more wildlife on property in the Bosque del Cabo area, but La Paloma is beautiful.

As far as what to do, I did enjoy both the Corcovado and Cano Island Tours they set up. We were going to go on the Bug Lady night tour but it was raining every night and they said we would see very little in the rain. Aside from the tours and a little hiking in the area, we mainly just relaxed and read. They also have kayaks you can borrow but the tide was low when we had the time to go and they said you can't get very far at that time. For the 2 1/2 days we were there, we had the perfect mix of activity and relaxation.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 04:23 AM

Am looking forward to your Arenal and La Paz report. Esp. interested to hear whether there's construction at Peace Lodge. (In fact, I suppose it's not impossible that they were affected by the earthquake, but I know you had left by the time it hit.) Thanks for your very full reports.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Day 5 - Drake Bay/Arenal
Departure day from Drake bay. Was sorry to have to leave, but the extreme humidity this day made the parting a little easier. Sansa flight about 1 1/2 hours late. It was raining a bit, so that could have been part of the problem. Flight smooth. Walked to main airport terminal and got rental from Dollar. Did get 4 wheel drive, which were happy with for some of the rocky roads around Arenal. Drive to Arenal not too hectic once leaving traffic leaving the city. Did have some sketchy road signs where signs were vandalized, so really had to stay alert until we got through San Ramon. The drive was very nice through the hills, and the biggest challenge was avoiding the people walking along side the road and the dogs. Little traffic. Stayed at Arenal Paraiso which was more on the rustic side but certainly was comfortable, and they had hairdryers which was good since my hair had been wet for about 3 days straight! The view of the volcano would have been wonderful, had the cloud ever left the top. I did ask them to call if it ever cleared, but no late night calls. We had dinner at El Novillo which we were both happy with the food.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Day 6 - Arenal
Awoke to the sound of Green Macaws in the tree behind our cabin. Had breakfast buffet which they had a good variety. There was construction going on and you could here them working, but we were gone most of the working hours so didn't bother us. Took the bumpy road up the Fortuna Falls trail and walked down to the falls. Spectacular. Then headed to Fortuna for some souvenir shopping. Definately tourist oriented with all of the souvenir shops. Had lunch at Las Brasitas, Mexican food, which was good and wondered if they were catering a bit to Americans by giving us french fries with our mexican food. Went to the hanging bridges, again another bumpy road. Very lush, what I think of when I think of a jungle. Little wildlife, but very scenic. Had dinner at AP which was nothing to write home about. Went to Tabacon for the evening prices which was very relaxing.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Day 7 - Arenal/La Paz
Took the AP canopy tour. Chose them mainly for convenience and had a great time. The guides let us go tandem with them and do Superman and hang upside down. What a rush! After, while checking out someone at the front dest pointed out the volcano. We could finally see the top. It was only clear for about 2 minutes, but I was happy we were able to see the lava and smoke before we left. Headed on our trip to Peace Lodge. Just one time we thought we might be lost, but finally got to a road sign after about 20 minutes and saw we were still on the right track. Very beautiful, mountainous scenery as we got closer to the lodge. When we got there someone took us on a "tour" of our room. It really was amazing, although a bit Disneyesque. We spent some time checking out the gadgets, getting a good laugh of the extravagence of it all. It was certainly a good spot to spend the last night. There was construction going on, but couldn't really hear the noise, didn't effect our stay. We were also surprised to go out on the balcony at 2pm and find our neighbors in the hot tub, appeared to be unclothed. It was all very entertaining to us. This trip was for our 10 year anniversary, and this certainly would be a good honeymoon spot. We went to the butterfly conservatory and really enjoyed watching the cases of coccoons which you could see various stages of the butterflies being "hatched". Then went to the hummingbird garden. This is the only spot we visited where they were not shy about feeding the animals and had tons of hummingbird feeders and bananas out for other birds/animals. There are likely ecological ramifications, but it was very neat having dozens of hummingbirds zipping by your head. They let us hold a couple of small feeders and they would eat out of them. Neat feeling the vibration of their wings. Had the 4 course dinner at the lodge which was delicious.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Day 8 - La Paz/Home
Had breakfast at the lodge which was very good and then headed out for the waterfall gardens. Very beautiful. It was a very clear day so we went to Poas. It was so surreal with the bright blue pool of sulfuric acid and looking beyond the crater, the clouds floating in the sky. We heard a number of the locals comment on how they had never seen it so clear up there, being able to see the mountains off in the distance, so we felt fortunate to have had such a nice day. Then took a quick tour of Doka coffee plantation and got some coffee, and returned our rental without incident by 1 and off to our flight. This was really an amazing trip with just the right amount of activity and relaxation. If you have any questions, certainly happy to try to help.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 05:59 AM

blumen -

Great concise trip report. Wish I had that ability. Can you finish mine for me from this last summer's vacation?