Questions on Shuttle from Alajuela to Arenal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm investigating taking a shuttle or private transfer from Alajuela to Arenal. Various shuttle services charge $25-35 per person. They pick up from Hampton Hotel. They don't say how long the shuttle takes but some warn that they stop at many hotels and two hours could be added to the time. Private transfers run between $125(including an extra $20 charge to drop off at Lost Iguana) to $175(Costa Rica Taxi). Even with private transfers, some of the drivers don't speak English.

I've emailed two private drivers recommended on this forum for estimates but I suspect they will charge even more.

It seems much more economical to take the shuttle even if we'll have to take a taxi to Hampton Hotel. We don't plan to make stops along the way.

If you've taken a shuttle to Arenal, can you tell me how long it took and whether you'd do it again? Thank you.

Jeannette

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:57 AM

I'm bumping this up because I'd like to see the answers to this question too.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Just to follow-up, I heard from two drivers recommended on this forum. Leo Rodriquez has now formed a new company with others. I don't think he will commit to driving personally but one of his drivers will take us for $120 one-way. Jonathan Sedo charges $150 one-way.

If my trip time will double using a shuttle, then I'm inclined to go with a private driver. If my trip time will increase by 30 minutes and the taxi ride to Hampton Inn, then the shuttle looks pretty good. I'm still hoping someone who's used the shuttle will respond.

Thanks.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Just seconds after posting the previous message, Jonathan Sedo emailed me and said he misquoted his rate. His charge between Alajuela and Arenal is $100, not $150.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:46 PM

Jeannette,
We also hired Jonathan Sedo during our May 2005 Costa Rica trip.

You're welcome to review our trip here:
http://www.marklyn.net/website/TheTr...RicaIndex.html

If you want specific information about costs, etc. regarding Jonathan then email me directly from my web page link.
I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Mark
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:56 PM

Is Interbus the shuttle you're looking at? We've used them to get around a few times and would definitely do so again. We were warned about the stops at hotels--but those really didn't take very long, and we sometimes got to our destinations earlier than planned.

We did take Interbus from Alajuela to Arenal a couple of years ago, and I don't remember how long it took, but it was whatever my guidebooks had estimated. (Lonely Planet and Frommers)

see http://www.interbusonline.com/
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

The shuttles I was looking at were Arenal.net, Costa Rica Shuttle, Costa Rica Shuttle Service, Cost Rica Taxi and Cost Rica Transfers. There was a reason I rejected Interbusonline but I can't recall why. Maybe they had a weight limitation or too many passengers on a regular bus that I thought would be uncomfortable. I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience and I'll take another look! Thanks!!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:58 AM

I just got back from Costa Rica and I would not hire Jonathan Sedo. I had to take the shuttle back to the airport cause he never showed up to pick me up and I had already paid him. Also he charged me double of what tours were going at and didn't show me what I wanted to see. I will return to Costa Rica but never hire a private guide again. Shuttles are better.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:59 AM

We used Interbus several times and they were great. We had 8-12 passenger vans twice and a larger bus the other. All were comfortable with a/c and drop offs were quick. I'm not sure where you heard the additional 2 hours, but that seems extreme. You will be going straight to Arenal and dropping off people there, but there's only so many stops you can make with that number of passengers!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:39 PM

We used Wilson, his email is [email protected], he was wonderful, speaks very good english and had some excellent suggestions for things to do and places to go in Arenal.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 02:12 PM

we used Interbus too and had great timely service. it never took more than estimated to get anywhere.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:29 PM

It's kind of the luck of the draw when you're on any shuttle or tour to or from San Jose. If you are the first to be picked up in the morning or the last to be dropped off at the end of the day, you will spend a lot of extra time riding. I don't know about two extra hours, but I've been picked up for transportation and it was maybe another 30 to 60 minutes riding around picking up other passengers before we headed out of town.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Agree with Jeff that's it's just luck. On my Arenal-SJO interbus leg we had to detour right when we were leaving to pick up 2 more that had apparently not apprared earlier and were now just waking up. Took an extra 10 minutes to get them and an extra 15 while they finished packing.

I know of a great driver based in SJ if anyone needs a rec.