Question about all-inclusive policies.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to be getting conflicting answers on when an all-inclusive plan starts and ends. Some travelers have said that when they arrived at a resort earlier than the check in time, that although they couldn't get into their rooms, they still got their wristbands for the all inclusive meals and drinks while waiting for their room. Conversely, if they had a later flight at check out time, the resort let them take advantage of the AI until their shuttle picked them up, at which time the wristbands were cut. However, I've read from others who say that the AI begins and ends at check in and check out and anytime other than that you are expected to pay for food and drink. That it is rude and foolish to expect the resort to feed you outside those times. I've been to an A-I resort in Cancun twice and once in Puerto Morelos and each time the AI stopped when the airport shuttle picked us up. They cut our bands at that time. Now the resort I'm planning to stay in June reportedly only allows access to A-I within the check in/check out times. Does any experienced Cancun/Riviera Maya travelers have any input of what most resorts do on this?
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 06:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What resort are you asking about? From what you are saying, it sounds like the policy varies (or is enforced differently) from place to place.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 07:35 AM

We have been to many all-inclusives in the Caribbean and in Mexico. We have never had to pay for a drink or meal before we checked in (waiting for our room to be ready) or after we checked out waiting for our transportation to the airport. Actually, the bartenders and waiters have no way of charging you for drinks and food because they never charge anyone. We have checked out and then waited until midnight for our transportation and drank and ate all day. Also, I have arrived all the way home and still had my bracelet on.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too have been to several AI resorts in the Riviera Maya and Punta Cana and have never had to pay for anything before getting our room or after check while waiting to go to the airport.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

It's the Gran Melia in Cancun and apparently even though you have a wristband you also have to sign a slip also like you do on a cruise. That's strange. From what I've read they just started an AI plan not long ago. You have the choice of AI or pay as you go. I guess if you go with pay as you go you give them a credit card number at check in for any charges that you entail.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM

I think I would go to a different hotel. Too complicated. The prices are usually not on the menu, so how would you know if they were charging you correctly. Prices are usually not posted at the bar either. There are soooooooooooooooo many all-inclusives to pick from. The beauty of an all-inclusive is to not think about how much your bill will be at the end of your vacation.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The prices WILL be on the menu at the Melia sice their "all inclusive" is an option. To me it sounds more like a meal plan than a true all inclusive. Since you will not be at a TRUE all inclusive resort, you just may have to pay after your check out time. Why not contact the resort directly since they are the only ones who can give you the correct answer.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Well, I emailed the Gran Melia Cancun to get an answer but they never responded. However, someone who was there previously, said they were told the AI plan runs from noon of check in day, to noon of check out day. Because the Gran Melia Cancun gives the guest the choice of AI or the European Plan, it's not an ALL all-inclusive resort. So, if check out is 12 noon and your flight doesn't leave until 6:00pm, you have to pay for your drinks and food after check out until you leave the resort.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 01:47 PM
KVR

We've been to many AI resorts in Mexico and our AI plan started as soon as we walked in the door until the shuttle came to pick us up.

Since the Gran Melia Cancun is not a true AI resort they understandably have different policies and procedures on how they handle their meal/drink plans. It's up to the individual hotel on when they choose to start and stop their so-called included services. Since you know upfront what to expect you can either go there and suffice or chose another hotel. They are so many true AI hotels in Cancun/Playa del Carmen to chose from.