Favorite all inclusive resort in Mexico

Old Feb 21st, 2010, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite all inclusive resort in Mexico

Looking for a last minute beach vacation in April that falls in our budget. I was originally searching outside of Mexico as we went to Mexico for our honeymoon and wanted to try somewhere new, however Mexico fits great into our budget ! We stayed at Adventura Spa Palace for our honeymoon (loved it!), but need to stay somewhere cheaper this time. Looking to relax by the beach or pool, good food/drinks, non-motorized water sports available. May also want to book an outside excursion or two. Would love to find a moderately priced AI that could be comparable to Adventura .... Flying out of Charlotte and would like to spend 4-5 nights. Budget 1800-2200. Our dates are flexible within the dates of April 2-10. Was also looking in the DR. If anyone can think of anything in outside of Mexico that would fit in my description please share

Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 07:15 PM

Check out Puerto Vallarta. I booked A whole week for about the same price range at an All Inclusive. I have stayed at Moon Palace in Cancun and have seen the ads for Adventura Spa. Looks awesome... Be ready to lower expectations a little bit. Check out Melia, Riu, and Gold Crown Plaza, if you are looking for All Inclusive as they tend to be highly rated through other sources.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look into the Iberostar resorts and the Riu resorts. Also the Barcelo Maya in the Riviera Maya.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:17 AM

We liked Valentin Imperial Maya, I think it's less expensive than the Palace Resorts. We're heading to Dreams Riviera Cancun next week and that was less as well.

It always seems to me for all inclusives, you can't beat the value you get in Mexico. The properties are so nice and there really is a lot to do right in the area. We've gone to several other islands in the Caribbean and none of the AI's compare in quality for the price we've paid. You could probably find something comparable in price in Jamaica, but I'm not sure if you'd find as many outside excursions that would interest you.

When we want an AI vacation, we keep returning to Mexico - it has a lot of appeal for us.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 01:50 PM
KVR

I would also suggest the Royal Playa del Carmen. It will be slightly less expensive, but still has great amentities. We like that it's only a 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue.

If you can go later in April or early May, the prices should drop and you can probably get a better resort at a better price.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM

I've stayed at the Beach Palace in Cancun and loved it. Some excursions are included in your AI price, such as a trip to Isla Mujeres, a trip to Chichen Itza, a trip to the water park.....and with the Palace Resorts, you can utilize all of the resorts. We spend a day at their resort on Isla Mujeres and a day at the Moon Palace.

If you go to PV or Cabo, do NOT stay at the Villa Del Palmar if you're looking for AI. Their "all inclusive" is a joke.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:42 PM

tenthumbs - why do you say that about Villa del Palmar? My husband and I stayed there last month - it was a time-share presentation special - and we had an all-inclusive package. We thought it was great. The junior suite we had was beautiful (beach and pool view) and the AI included all our drinks, snacks, and meals at both Villa del Palmar and at Villa del Arco restaurants. We had never been to an all inclusive before, and figured it would be mediocre at best, but we ended up thinking the food and drinks at the restaurants and bars were incredible, the grounds were lovely, and we had a great time. Maybe because we were there on a "special" we had a better experience? I am curious about your own experience, because we had such a great time, we were considering returning next year.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM

I am an owner at VDP, and for the first 5-6 years, I was more than happy with the resort and the purchase. I had never utilized the all-inclusive as we have several favorite restaurants in town. When they first began building the Villa del Arco, I was told on a "member's update tour" (translation~attempt to get you to upgrade) that as an owner at VDP we would have complete access to the facilities. When I went down in Feb of 2009 with 11 other people, we paid for the all inclusive; when we were issued our bracelets, we were given a list of what was and wasn't included, and the WASN'T included list was longer than was WAS included. We couldn't order certain items off the menus, and only beer and a few drinks (margaritas and daquiris) were included. Also, when we attempted to use the pool at del Arco, we were rudely told by a security guard it was for owners at del Arco ONLY, that it didn't matter if I was an owner at VDP. When I asked the conceirge, she simply shrugged her shoulders and told me it was a recent "management decision" that only owners at del Arco could use the pool........but we were more than welcome to use the restaurant and the spa (translation~come spend money, but you still can't use the pool). I wrote a letter to Universal Vacation Club addressing my concerns, and it went unacknowledged. There are a few other things I was promised as an owner on which they've renegged, but I won't go into detail here.
I'm glad you had a positive experience; I do find the resort lovely and the view of Land's End is awesome. I also like that it's within walking distance from town and close to City Club. It is quite possible they were more generous with your "all-inclusive" than they were with the one we paid for because they were trying to suck you into timeshare ownership!!
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 08:00 AM

It is quite possible they were more generous with your "all-inclusive" than they were with the one we paid for because they were trying to suck you into timeshare ownership!!

I have to agree with you on this point. We also heard from some other current owners while we were staying at Villa del Palmar - they all said pretty much that once you have purchased, the Universal Vacation Club, the developer's greatest wish is to never hear from you again.

As potential buyers, I do believe we were given one of the best condo units, as well as a broad all-inclusive package. We had no intention of buying a time share, but we certainly did enjoy the four day vacation at $299 total for two people.

Not sure how it would be to return as a guest, even if we aren't owners ...
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 08:34 AM

I am somewhat disgruntled with UVC as they don't seem at all concerned with my complaints; however, I wouldn't tell anyone not to go to the resort. There are some great staff members, the resort itself is beautiful and in a good location.....I just wouldn't recommend the all inclusive unless it comes with a package deal like you purchased. It is rather sad that only potential buyers are treated like royalty while members who have already paid thousands of dollars are treated shabbily.

I most likely won't go back to the resort in Cabo in the near future not because I was so unhappy with it but because I have been there several times and would like to see someplace new. I will most likely begin trading my weeks there for weeks in other locations.