Search

Quepos to SJ Fly or Drive?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quepos to SJ Fly or Drive?

How long does this drive take? Is there anything to enjoy during the trip. We are heading back for our last two days outside of SJ.

If driving, what is the best way to arrange a driver?

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:25 PM

francetrip,
It is about a 3 hour drive. Not bad at all, except for the area on the north side of Quepos, with a couple of questionable bridges. They really aren't much of a problem, though. . .just require slow going and care. We don't have experience with drivers as we prefer to drive ourselves. We like Tricolor Car Rental agency.

www.tricolorcarrental.com

About an hour north of Quepos, be sure to stop at the Rio Tarcoles to look at the crocodiles in the river. Sometimes there are loads of them!
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Check out www.costaricashuttle.com if you want to arrange a driver. We got a transfer for $125 from San Jose to Quepos.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:44 AM

Another shuttle company with a strong positive reputation is Interbus.

www.interbusonline.com
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:08 AM

This reply had both a positive and negative aspect to it, depending on how adventurous you are.

During our vacation last year we drove from San Jose to Arenal, Arenal to Manual Antonio, and MA to San Jose for our flight home.

The driving is some of our more memorable parts of our vacation. Seeing the local villages, coffee plantations, and country-side was a great experience. We were two families, driving 4x4 vehicles with two 13 year old boys and two 14 year old girls.

The rodes are wind through the hills, are narrow, and at times have many potholes. Most of the time, you can wind and zig zag around the obstacles.

HERE'S THE ADVENTURE-- On the way back to the airport, we left MA 6 hours before our depature schedule. We wanted to make sure we left plenty of time in case something came up. That something turned into a closed road that required about a 2 1/2 hour diversion on relatively unmarked rodes.

At this point our wives allowed my buddy and I to unleash our inner sports car driver. They didn't want to miss their flight.

We now raced at break-neck speed, zigging zagging and zigging some more, ever unsure of the direction we were heading. We looked at the map, charted a course and hoped for the best.

On finding the main road, we joined the locals in the custom of passing the sugar cane trucks, three cars wide, on a two laned road into oncoming traffic. Can you spell adrenaline! [My palm are sweating and I am salivating just thinking about it]

The ride back to the airport was almost as good/exciting as the 500meter zip lines over the 1000meter gorges in Arenal.

I say drive, but leave leave plenty of time for something that might come up!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Also, find a post by Jorge of the Jungle from 1995 titled "not your typical trip report, arenal/ma".

This was my friends trip report. Also helpful travel tips...
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:19 AM

We used Tricolor as well. The vehicles were great. Clean, relatively new, large, 4x4.