San Jose travel to Arenal or Quepos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I fly to San Jose and drive a rental car, which route is the better plan ?.
Travel from SJO airport to La Fortuna/Arenal area or
the travel route from SJO airport Quepos/Manuel Antonio.
Concerns are which is rougher drive and and which is more scenic
Also, how difficult is drive between Arenal and Quepos
Any information including estimate driving time would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM

I'd say it's about 3 hours either way and about 5 in between the two. I think the drive to Arenal is very pretty; the roads are quite hilly with twists and turns. The drive to MA has some potholes and one-way bridges, although I think they're replacing those.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Vgirl pretty much hit it right. If you go through San Ramon, the drive from SJO to Arenal is about 3 hours, without stops.

There is a more scenic drive, that I think is one of the prettiest in the country. Instead of going through San Ramon, go through Grecia. Then take the road that leads through Sarchi, Zarcero, Naranjo, and Ciudad Quesada (aka San Carlos). this is about a half hour longer. You can shop for crafts in Sarchi, just make sure that the store has a guard for your car. Tip him on the way out.

One of my favorite stops is at the little coffee shop, on your right as you look at the church in Zarcero. They do some fun varieties of liquor flavored coffees. The church here is well worth your time to visit. Very old, and made entirely of wood. Lots of faux marble finishes and beautiful murals. Be very aware here though. Since so many tourists stop, it has become a high theft area. DO NOT leave the car unattended here.

Actually, you never want to leave your car unattended with your luggage anywhere. Car burglaries are very common. These guys are quick and good. Locked or unlocked really doesn't matter.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 04:33 AM

www.mapcr.com

The drive from Arenal to MA is down the coast

pretty scenic...budget 6-7 hours with lunch stop

usually at Jaco...Bubba fish tacos are grest
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:47 AM

Agree, 3 to 3 and half hours from SJ to Arenal. The drive is more picturesque if you drive through Grecia-Sarchi-Naranjo-Zarcero -Ciudad Quesada/San Carlos. Stop in the Grecia center to take some pics of the famous red church ( http://www.govisitcostarica.com/region/city.asp?cid=105 ), stop in Sarchi to pick up some gifts or to see how they make them, definitely stop in the Zarcero central park (very cool topiary there). The drive is very easy. You have to pay attention to the signs and other cars when you're passing through the town centers. FYI: they added many road signs last month, so now it's so much easier to navigate those small towns.

From Arenal to MA, I'd say 5 to 6 hours depending on your driving skills and road condition. If you're on a budget, stop to eat before you arrive to MA. It's a bit pricier there.

If you plan to drive, read these articles about road signs, driving and roads in Costa Rica:

http://www.mangovalley.com/costa-ric...osta-rica.html

http://www.mangovalley.com/costa-ric...osta-rica.html