Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

puerto vallarta intercontinental near what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:30 PM
leavingsoon

Hola!

We are truly leaving soon. Next week to PV. We chose the hotel because the isolation suits us, but now wonder:

1. Is there ample parking in downtown PV, near the Malecon? We are not partiers but would absolutely stroll the Malecon and eat out every night, unless there is another suggestion of where to amble and eat?
I would say the possibility of our being drunk is zero. We've driven windy roads so that is not a concern, just the parking.

We will rent a car to explore, so no taxis or buses, which leads me to this question....

2. Are there any other hotels in either direction near the the IP, so that we can have a change of pace for lunch, say?

Muchas Gracias!

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Parking and traffic in downtown PV is a bit overwhelming. I'm not sure what to suggest, as everyone I know use taxis or busses to get around.

The Malecon is a nice place for an evening stroll, but I prefer the restaurants "south of the river", for the most part (in the area dubbed Zona Romantica), although there are some nice ones in El Centro also. Basilo Badillo and Olas Altas (street names) are my favorite area; these are near Playa Los Muertos (a beach with many restaurants on it as well).

Dreams is a resort down in that area. It's an all-inclusive so not sure about non guests eating there.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:03 PM

Dreams is down near Intercontinental is what I meant.

Do you need any restaurant suggestions?
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
leavingsoon

Well, that is very nice of you, suze!

I have printed out the vallarta-info restaurant lists, and I already know that two of the top [places are closed next week! (Totally my luck), but if you have other favorites the more the merrier.

I would say we would onjly go into town after the heat of the day has passed, so dinnertime is our concern.

I'm not opposed to a gringo-style Mexican place- or the places like those in Nuevo Puerto, the lobster village, in Baja.

I would say that one of the things we loved about our last trip to Mexico were the no frills taco stands in the non touristy little towns North of Manzanillo (I don;t even think we knew their names, but I do know that they looked like they were probably "happening" in season and very dead off season.)

We sat at a long table filled with locals and one gringo family and ordered tacos and listened to music and strolled past the closed shops.

We also liked Melaque at night- with lots of beach-ball stores and taco stands and a small place or two.

I wonder if you've heard of Playa Gemelas- is that near to where we'll be? It seems to be a condo with a restaurant and it looked isolated so I thought maybe it was on the same beach. I have heard there are a couple of condos on the same beach as Intercontinental?

Anyway, any and all suggestions for food most welconme. We're definitely going to drive up to Sayulita one day, so ideas for a stop along the way would be great!

Thanks, again!

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:53 PM

I just stay in town, so can't help with the excursions or activities north or south. By my map, Playa Gemelas seems to be the name of the beach at Intercontinental.

Come into the heart of PV and you'll see sidewalk taco stands pretty much everywhere! Walk inland and you'll get into normal local neighborhoods with Mom's cooking kind of places along the sidewalks.

Favorites I'd seek out for dinner include The Red Cabbage, maybe La Palapa or others down on the beach at Playa Los Muertos (you can eat with your feet in the sand, go at sunset), Tinos Mariscos in Pitillal, more high-end popular places like Trios, Vitea, Barcelona Tapas, or The River Cafe (stay for the music in the bar later on).

More casual, there are many great places on B. Badillo on the south-side... the Argentinian steak house, Joe Jacks Fish Shack, Fajita Republic, Cafe de Olla. On and around Olas Altas - Peking, Archies Wok, Cafe Bohemio, La Piazzetta.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
leavingsoon

Wow-
You are so fast!

Thank you again for all those names of places, so helpful.

And I did find out that it's the same beach, and also not too far from Mislamoya (spelling) so I think we're all set!

Thank you again for your time and advice.