Puerto Vallarta restaurants

Jan 4th, 2003, 03:34 AM
shiloh

Puerto Vallarta restaurants

The tour books list so many restaurants for PV. Does anyone have a favorite moderate priced restaurant with atmosphere?
Also, is there anything to do in PV besides eat?

Jan 4th, 2003, 11:06 AM
JRinPV

My list is hereBR>http://vallarta-info.com/puertovallartainsider.html
see the rest of the site for things to do.

Jan 4th, 2003, 01:32 PM
susanna

On Basilo Badillo (a main street south of the river near Playa Los Muertos~ recently dubbed "restaurant row")... My personal favorites are La Bamba and Adobe Cafe. Other popular ones are Cafe de Olla and Fajita Republic, among many many other choices.

For the view have drinks at sunset on the rooftop bar El Nido at Chez Elena restaurant at the hotel Cuatro Vientos, up behind the cathedral.

For great unusual authentic Mexican food and a one-of-a-kind decor try The Red Cabbage in Remance (neighborhood name).

What else to do in Puerto Vallarta???
- lay in the sun by the pool and drink beer
- take a bus out to a quiet beach north or south of town
- walk around El Centro and inland to see the normal local neighborhoods going about life
- at Playa Los Muertos, sit under a palapa, have a drink, and buy stuff from the beach vendors
- stroll The Malecon (if the post-hurricane repairs are complete) especially weekend evenings
- attend a service at the cathedral, or just stop in to sit sometime
- do an "activity" or tour (if that's your kind of thing)... horseback ride in the jungle, rent a jeep, snorkeling, deepsea fishing, sunset booze cruise on the pirate ship
- at the beach try parasailing, banana boat, inner tubes, boogie boards
- go on the tour of fancy homes offered
- visit Liz Taylor & Richard Burton's hideaway from the 60's
- take a bus out to towns north such as Bucerias, Punta Mita, Sayulita
- buy a Mexican blanket

Obviously I could go on and *ON* but will stop now, you get the idea ;-)

Jan 5th, 2003, 12:14 PM
lay of the land

For Shiloh, What part of Puerto Vallarta will you be staying in??

I ask because Nuevo Vallarta, The Marina, Hotel Zone, El Centro/Old Town, Zona Romantica, and on south to Camino Real are varying neighborhoods and areas that stretch around the Bay of Banderas and a 45+ mins. drive/ride, I'm guessing, north to south...

So, for example, if you are way north in Nuevo, I doubt you'd want to travel all the way to the "southside" of town just for a moderate priced meal.

Jan 6th, 2003, 05:04 AM
hector

The Blue Shrimp!!! Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Jan 7th, 2003, 05:14 AM
shiloh

Thank you for your response. We traded our timeshare for one at the Mayon resort in the marina area. We're going to rent a car one day to explore other areas. Thanks again for your help.

Jan 7th, 2003, 06:07 AM
havkhones

The area I know for restaurants is the Romantica zone, south of the Rio cuale river.

My favorite was Brazil(or maybe Brasil). It was the only restaurant that we ate at twice, not including the little cafe directly across the street from the Playa Los Arcos hotel.

Every restaurant we ate at south of the Rio cuale was faublous!

As for things to do in PV....the oppurtunities are limitless and i dont feel like spending the time to go thru all of them.

I highly recommend staying in the area south of the Rio cuale, that is the REAL PV, in my opinion.

Jan 12th, 2003, 12:45 PM
getting around PV

For Shiloh, Also (besides having a rental car part time) it is very easy to get from The Marina into El Centro or Zona Romantica. Either hop a local bus or take a taxi. I believe the bus is 4 peso these days, and a cab ride would probably be about 50 peso.

Jan 12th, 2003, 07:13 PM
dianne

Go down to the malecon on Sunday evening. All the local families in their best Sunday outfits, plus many vendors, and great folk entertainment in the outdoor theater at the end of the malecon. Walking around the marina is also nice. So many great restaurants... Adobe, Daquiri Dick's, Bistro, Trio, Cafe des Artistes, Porto Bello... not cheap, but cheaper than home for great quality. La Nube is awesome. Explore the neighborhoods on foot... Isla Cuale, Olas Altos, go up any street away from the Malecon. Take a taxi or bus to the south beaches. Tons of boat tours, but we were put off by the "all you can drink" atmosphere and drunken, sea-sick stories from fellow tourists. Took a bike tour from Bike-Mex and recommend it NOT. The so-called beginner's trip was straight uphill in the back country, and mi esposo ended up in the care of the hotel doctor, getting several stitches in a ragged gash in his calf. Great story, but not fun at the time.

Jan 13th, 2003, 01:27 PM
gm

It's been three years, but excellent atmosphere and seafood (as well as after dinner specialty tequilas)were to be found at La Palapa. The restaurant is literally on the sand, and when we were there, there was soft, romantic live music. By Mexico standards it wasn't cheap, but certainly not pricey.

There was also an Argentinian Grill in town that had great, authentic food for a good price.

There were several good restaurants in Marina Vallarta (in particular, a small authentic Mexican place, and an Italian place).

Jan 14th, 2003, 10:50 AM
shiloh

Thank you everyone for your responses. I've taken pages of notes and we're looking forward to our visit next week.

Jan 14th, 2003, 01:37 PM
sss

LaPalapa was way way over priced. $7.00 for a glass of wine. $25.00 for 4 coconut shrimp with a dab of rice and some bread. Shrimp side dish was $13.00 but that was worth it. Margaritas were $5.50 but were good.
I have to say the setting and service was very nice but the menu prices were high. There are alot of other restaurants that are just as nice and alot less expensive.

Jan 15th, 2003, 10:34 AM
$$$

Along the same lines as the poster above, the question was about "moderate priced" restaurants...

Especially considering the low prices in Mexico generally, I think La Palapa, Blue Shrimp, El Bistro, Trio all have very expensive menus! Same as a fancy dinner out at home (Seattle).

When discussing what things cost~ cheap, moderate, expensive, it's different for different people. Easier if you say a price range for the meal.

p.s. When you're in PV just take a walk around, restaurants post a menu at their doorway and you can peak in a get a feel for the place.

Jan 15th, 2003, 11:13 AM
funsun

If those are US dollars quoted for La Palapa....YIKES!...many restaurants are now priced too high for us Canadians!

Jan 15th, 2003, 12:02 PM
sss

Yes that was in US dollars.
I love PV and iam going back in May. One other place we liked was Tequilas. It's in the center of the town up above some stores has nice outdoor balcony for watching the sunset.
Also a mexican place called Pipi's(sp), pronounced PeePees.

Jan 17th, 2003, 05:04 PM
sss

ttt

Jan 18th, 2003, 12:09 PM
pollo

There's a fairly new place doing delicious roasted chickens to-go on Vallarta near Basilo Badillo (southside). He's across the street from Paco Paco (nightclub)... For 25 pesos I had a great 1/2 chicken (hacked neatly into 4 pieces), a stack of warm tortillas, and a little bag or red sauce.

Highly recommended!!

Jan 19th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Nick

Totally agree with $$$ over some restaurants suggested - Blue Shrimp was recommended to us, but when we saw the prices, did not stay.
For good value lunch sandwich or later meal - check out Papaya. Mixture of vegetarian, salads, sushi (so can be a nice change) but also plenty of meat. Olas Altas 485. Great value.
Second the recommendation for Brazil.

Jan 20th, 2003, 07:59 AM
goodeatsin PV

You have to try Las Palmas (the Doves) on the mainstreet/waterfront downtown. Beautiful view of the ocean, inexpensvie, wonderful staff. you can watch them make the tortillas.I suggest the veracruz fish, the shrimp cerveche, top it off with the cinnamon coffee....mmm I am hungry thinking about it! Enjoy yourself!!

Jan 20th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Papaya

Yeah Papaya!! Nick mentioned one of my favorites above... Papaya 3. Besides the location on Olas Altas, there is (actually the 1st location) another one up off the Malecon.

Turn in at the Hard Rock Cafe corner and it's 1-1/2 blocks inland on the left side. I love their egg scrambles and fresh fruit juices for breakfast, and the "big" sandwiches for lunch. Clean, cool, dependable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO