Puerto Vallarta best beach resort near town

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to Cancun stayed at the Fiesta Americana Cancun, and to Playa del Carmen at both the Riu Yucatan and the Riu Palace. I am looking at Puerto Vallarta for early 2006.

Looking for the best beach, pool, and service 4 or 5 stars....... Want to be close to town, not wanting an all inclusive here.

We will be 3 or 4 couples mid 40's who are active and want to explore what PV has to offer.

Steer me in the right direction Fodorites.

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Unfortunately (for you) in town are mostly non-resort, smaller local hotels. I think the closest in the 4-5 star range would be in The Marina which is about 15 mins. from downtown by local bus or taxi. That would include the Westin and Casa Magna Marriot. Maybe Fiesta Americana and Sheraton also nearby that area back towards the airport.

In PV the Cancun-style resorts (RIU for example) are all recently built out in "Nuevo Vallarta" which is about 1 hour north of Puerto Vallarta.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:53 PM

Best beach resort would have to be Dreams, formerly the Camino Real. It was a very nice hotel, and just converted to an AI this past fall. It has an excellent beach, and is very close to town...
Quinta Real looks nice but it's in the Marina, a ways off from the best part of town, which is old town.
If you are open to something different, check out Hacienda San Angel. It's a daydream of mine to stay there someday!!!!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:50 AM

I am staying at the Hacienda San Angel for the first part of my honeymoon and then heading over to The Quinta Real Puerto Vallarta for the second half. This is not till December - but I have done a TON of research and feel this will be a good mix of both culture and resort. Neither offer a great beach - but don't think we will be missing out if we don't have direct access to the beach.
You might want to consider a Villa - this site has a lot to offer.

http://www.mexworx.com/
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:28 AM

I agree w/Frankie the best beach is The former Camino Real which is now Dreams I think by the time you go it should be up to par. Good Luck