Search

Puerto Vallarta

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Vallarta

We are planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta with our two teenage sons in April. Any advice on things to do? We plan to stay at the Marriott. Also, is it easy / safe to drive to Guadalahara? Are there any Mayan ruins close by?
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 04:54 PM

My two girlfriends and I drove to Guadalajara two weeks ago. It was 4 1/2 hour drive, over the toll road. You can only pay the toll fee with Pesos!!! It totaled about $29.00 USD (290 pesos) one way but well worth it. Drive during the day. The first two hours from Puerto Vallarta through the mountains is the worst--crazy drivers pass on this narrow twisty road. Take taxi's into the Centro district for many things to see and do. The malecon is especially nice to walk at night. There are some good tours through Vallarta Adventures. Your sons probably will love the "Zip" tours, the ATV's, or the Las Caletas tour where they snorkel off the beach, kayak, nature walk, swim, etc. and they have a really great lunch. Those are the 3 best tours for youths. I don't know of any close ruins if you are staying only the usual week. As you may have seen by previous posts, if you haven't been to PV before--the preferred first time stay is in old town because you can walk to great restaurants, the malecon, the beach, the beach restaurants, shops, the River Cuale flea market. Staying at the Marriott means you have to take a taxi to the best parts of PV. Your only thing going for you there is the beach and your hotel. If you have a car, and your sons like to surf, you may want to take the 30 mile trip North to Sayulita where all the young people hang out. You could spend a night there, then head out to Guadalajara.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! That is all great information. I will check out alternate hotels.....any suggestions?
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 06:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually I like the Casa Magna Marriott for that kind of hotel/resort, even though it is out in The Marina about 15 mins. from downtown. Fantastic pool area.

I don't think there are any Mayan ruins at least around the part of the west coast. There's a volcano down in Colima though -lol.

You could rent a car or alternatively there is first class bus service that runs frequently PV/Guad that you might check out, if you'd find that more relaxing than driving in Mexico.

If you don't change hotels & end up in that part of town... definitely spend a day at the beach of Playa Los Muertos. This is the main public beach on the southside with a boardwalk, pier, restaurants, bars, parasailing, banana boats, boogie board and innertube rentals, volleyball, vendors galore. Have lunch under a palapa!

Taking the local bus around and strolling The Malecon in the evening are two activites your kids (and you) might have fun doing.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

More great info, thank you! I'm a bit concerned having read some of the other blogs that the Hurricane damage has not all been cleaned up....blondlady, on your recent trip in Jan, did you find that to be the case?
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Perhaps you are thinking of the Mayan Riviera on the Cancun side which was hard hit by Wilma...
No hurricanes in Puerto Vallarta in the past couple of years...
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Yes, you are right! I was also looking into Cozumel and got my info crossed!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 06:21 PM

close call- glad that got cleared up! (hurricanes are quite rare on the west coast of Mexico in the Bay of Banderas like once every 50 years or so)
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:01 PM

We loved the Krystal in PV. Very laid back but gorgeous. The people that worked there were helpful and friendly.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Hi again. We did find something very unusual about the beach in January. We left PV December 2nd and had a beautiful sandy beach in front of the Plaza Dorada (Los Muertos Beach). When we returned January 6, there were 12 to 15 ft. high waves and rocks. It was really something because to the left of us on the other side of the small (quaint) pier, people were able to swim because the waves were calmer. Marriott is too far out for your sons. The action, the activity, the exploring, the shops, flea Markets, babes on the beach, etc. is in Old Town, Los Muertos Beach. Los Arcos is in a great location. They have a variety of types of rooms. Posada de Roger is a good location and cheap, but not right on the beach. Check with Wendy at [email protected] for alternate lodging. You didn't say how long you would be there and so its hard to recommend much. If you stay out of PV Centro (where I guess the beaches are better) you are probably getting quieter accommodations, and only hotel activities. I think you sons should enjoy the culture, the many restaurants, and the town itself which they can do on their own all day and half the night if you are situated in the middle of it all. Only the Sheraton is close enough to walk. Hotel Rosita is at the Northern end of the Malecon, that is a better location than Sheraton. Come on Suze you know the hotels on the Beach better than anyone. I forgot the name of the ones up from the Los Muertos Pier. When I drove to Guadalajara I rented the car at the airport (reserved from home) so I didn't have to drive through town. But I did drive on through town on my return. It can be exasperating in Centro in the evening when everyone is cruising.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:53 PM

ya ya... i know the hotels, but if someone is picturing something like casa magna marriott, i hesitate to send them to posada rogers!! that just ain't fair, no matter how much you and i like to kick around that part of town.

in my opinion there are no hotels in 'zona romantica' like the ones to the north of el centro. don't get me wrong, i love it "south of the river" but it could be not what some folks are looking for.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:00 AM

that said...

molina de agua
playa los arcos
tropicana
hotel eloisa
vallarta sun suites
casa andrea
suites emperador
gaviota vallarta
torre de oro

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:19 AM

BarbraR,
The Mayans were in the southern part of Mexico (the Yucatan and Chiapas) along with Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras so there aren't any Mayan ruins near PV.

The only ruins that I can think of that are anywhere close are at Teuchitlan, which I believe are near Tequila?? Not quite the same but if you really want to see ruins it may suffice.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Again, thank to all for some great info. Suffice it to say, we have more reading and planning to do! Right now, we are expecting to be there 6-7 days...working on getting our flights as we speak.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:27 AM

I really like Moon Handbooks guidebook for the area by Bruce Whipperman. I'm sure you can find it on amazon or a local bookstore. It's called "Puerto Vallarta and 300 miles of coastline" or like that. Your sons could read it too and see what appeals to them. I have found it extremely accurate comparing to what I have found on my trips to PV (many many of them!).
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:26 PM

Hi: I might add that 6-7 days if that's your total time in Mexico, is not a lot of time to really enjoy PV and also drive to Guadalajara. Guadalajara is big. You might want to research going to the coastal towns North and South instead for day trips. I would think you would want to spend at least two nights in Guadalajara and it is 4 1/2 hours drive so that takes up a day going and a day returning more or less. (Sayulita and Guayabitos are exceptional quaint towns/beaches north of PV. --30 and 50 miles north). I leave Monday Feb 6 for a week in PV, can't wait. And good luck on Air fares. My grandson is having trouble booking from Sacramento to PV starting March 24th and the prices are WAY high. Some flights are sold out already. I guess because of spring breaks.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 09:13 AM

besides spring breakers, i've been told PV is especially busy this year because of the hurricane damage to the 'other' side, many regulars to Playa del Carmen etc. are trying out Puerto Vallarta instead.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Hi to my my P.V. pals just got back spent last week there was wonderful as usual this time stayed at the Sheraton was great found the food for lunch to be expensive more so than usual and P.V. too be a bit more crowded than usual. That said the weather was great the people wonderful and what can I say Loved It!!!!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:25 PM

It is not boring at the Marriot, just quieter! The marina area is wonderful with great shops and restaurants. Bus to town is 45 cents, taxi is $6. Do not attempt to go to town between 6:30 and 7:30 p.m., just befroe or after. Most hotels have shuttles to the night clubs at 10 or 11 at night. Guadalajara is beautiful and shopping in Tonala a must, but the boys would not have a good time there.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:31 AM

I'm sure your 2 boys will have plenty to do at the Marina, between the beach, pool and shops at the Marina, then they can always take the bus into town. Have fun don't worry I always say the Marriott is the best hotel in P.V. and I have stayed at most of the top hotels and although they are all nice I prefer the Marriott first and the Sheraton 2nd.
If you need any restaurant advice let me know [email protected]. Adios and have a great vacation I am missing P.V. already only back 1 week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -