Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Puerto Morelos or Cozumel for snorkeling?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on spending four days in either Puerto Morelos or Cozumel. I am looking for a quiet place, and I know PM is much quieter than Cozumel. But I would also like to see some good snorkeling, hopefully off the beach without having to take a guided trip. Which one should I go to?

Thank you!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:07 PM

Many people like Xpu-Ha beach for snorkling offshore and the quiet wide sandy beach.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 03:45 AM

Dana,
If you are looking for quiet, then Cozumel is not for you. It has gotten so crazy in the last few years that we have stopped going.

We spent many years going to Cozumel, and there is excellent snorkeling there, but 2003 was or last trip. (The better snorkeling is not from shore there, but there is some.)

This year, we went to Isla Mujeres and Playa del Carmen, with a side trip to Puerto Morelos to check it out.

What a cool place! Although we only went for the day, there are lots of guys in the coop who will take you out to the reef for a very reasonable price. (It is just a tad too far off shore to swim to unless you are a VERY strong swimmer.) It's usually just 3 or 4 people, and I'm sure if you go during off-season, it would be just you.

I have heard the snorkeling is very good as it is literally untouched there, and the people who are in charge are putting controls in place to keep it from getting too much traffic.

It sounds like it would be a good fit for you. We are going back and spending a few days there in the spring.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Mostly agree with Diana's post--although I still am in Cozumel often to visit friends. Unfortunately, it is becoming a victim of its own success and the west side beaches and tourists spots are often jammed with the thousands of tourists from the cruise ships. (the good thing for me is the ships are usually only there in the day so the evenings can be enjoyed)
It is amazing that Puerto Morelos has remained almost untouched while thousands flock to Cancun and Playa del Carmen. PM retains much of its original real Mexican flavor--unlike the other resorts in the area.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I think I will try Puerto Morelos. I'll report back afterwards.