Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is there any off beach snorkeling in Play Del Carmen or Puerto Aventuras?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a group of probably 4 couples in late 20s/early 30s. 2 of us get bored pretty easily, but a large part of the group will be happy just sitting on the beach for a couple days. The 2 of us that get bored easily are looking for some snorkeling right off the beach where we will stay.... not 10mins down the road. So, we can just go into the water and come up and still hang with the group.

Originally I was thinking Akumal, but there is no nightlife to speak of there from what I've read and its a bit of a trip to get to Coz for some diving. I'm now looking into Playa Del Carmen or Puerto Aventuras.

Can anyone comment on the quality of off beach(within 200yrds) snorkeling of those 2 places. For reference here is an album of off beach snorkeling I took in Jamaica. https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B0...l4QnZaOE0/edit

As long as its similar to that I'm good.

Thanks,

Craig
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 04:51 PM

You will not find snorkeling similar to what is in your link right off the beach in Playa del Carmen or Puerto Adventuras.

There is one place to snorkel in Playa del Carmen, right off of Coco Beach on the north end, but it is not at all similar to your link, and in fact it is a bit dangerous to snorkel there as the fishing boats pay no attn. to snorkelers.

There is snorkeling like your link right off the beach in Akumal, as you apparently know. And there is snorkeling similar to that just off shore in Puerto Morelos, but it reuires a short boat ride and PM has no night life. There is off shore snorkeling in Puerto Adven. but it also requires a boat and is not as good as what is pictured in your link.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 07:00 PM

I would stay in Playa, and take a day trip to either Akumal and/or Puerto Morelos to snorkel. In Akumal you can snorkel right from the beach, and seeing the turtles is really cool. Puerto Morelos has really great snorkelling, but you need to go out with a tour, as you need a boat to get out to the reef. Stay in Playa.. It has all the nightlife, shopping and great food you would want, but just take a day trip one morning.. both Akumal and Puerto Morelos are really close.. Easy to get to by bus.