Puerta vallarta or St. Thomas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering these 2 locations for a 6 day vacation. My husband thinks he would prefer St. Thomas, while I like what I have read about Puerta Vallarta. We are seeking a tropical destination that is clean, has excellent restaurants and shopping. I have read there is more panhandling in Mexico and it is not as clean. Both destinations sound beautiful. We are planning our vacation for late Oct. Any helpful tips you provide will be appreciated.
Old May 6th, 2006, 07:53 AM

What a dilemma! Paradise in The Virgins or Paradise in Mexico. Huge differences. St Thomas, English Language, Expensive. Incredible water, diving, beaches & duty free shopping all prices in dollars.
PV Can be expensive to dirt cheap. Great restaurants, party town with crowded beachs, TONS & TONS of peddlers who with constantly bug you to buy. Time share Ghouls by the horde! It's also charming with lovely architecture, friendly people & lots to do. Water quality is nothing like St Thomas. It all depends what you want.
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:54 PM

That about sums it up. EXCEPT that in PV you have many little side trips you can take that also have beautiful beaches, Sayulita, Guayabidos, La Penita. There are snorkeling tours, Home tours by the Friendship Club and fun tours such as Zip lines and ATV's. I haven't been to St. Thomas in many years, but it seemed smaller. PV is an old fishing village and I think is worth a try just for the old charm of the city.
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Not to push one over the other as I love them both, but you can hardly beat day trips to St. Johns & the several British Virgins. If it's diving/snorkeling defiantly St. Thomas. For great culture, food & party time I'd choose PV.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you will be happier with St. Thomas. From your brief post it sounds more suited to what you want.

It is a beautiful tiny island, english-speaking, heavily touristed, and quite expensive. As mentioned you can see St. John by ferry.

Personally I love Puerto Vallarta, but it is more rustic, and yes there are many many vendors and timeshare shills about, and a few beggars on the streets. I don't believe it is actually dirty (each shop keeper sweeps and washes down their sidewalks every morning, people are clean and well pressed, etc.), but it is definitely not as Disneyesque as the USVI... it's more rusty, dusty, authentic, noisy, bumpy, gritty, etc.

I've been to St. Thomas 1x and PV 15x ;-)
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:32 PM

I personally would choose St Thomas. I confess it has been a long time since I have been to either place, but I like Caribean water much better than Pacific side of Mexico.
Happy travels!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

thanks to each of you for your input. As it turns out we are going to Seattle. What a switch! I could not get airline tickets to either the VI or Puerta Vallarta with my frequent flier miles for the time frame we needed to go. They both sound lovely and I hope to try it next year.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:36 AM

Well Seattle is a wonderful city so have a great time but talk a jacket!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM

Nancy, I think you'll have a great time in Seattle too. Spent a few days there in 2004 in the summer. Drove to Mt. Rainier, explored the Pike's Place Market, took in a show at the theatre, took a ferry to Bainbridge Island just to look around (cool little place), really had a great time. There's lots to do there and a Starbucks on every corner (almost). Have a great trip!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Funny, Seattle and Puerto Vallarta are two of my absolutely favorite places (one my home, the other my annual vacation get-away)!