Problems btw Costa Rica and Nicaragua?

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems btw Costa Rica and Nicaragua?

Hi has anyone heard of any problems on the border when going to Tortuguero via the Sarapiqui and Rio San Juan? We are leaving tomorrow for CR and booked the trip for 26th Dec. Now they tell us that due to difficult relations btw the 2 countries they are cancelling the tour and we should go via Rio Dante which doesn't look half as good. It sounds like an excuse from the Mawamba group who maybe have other reasons (like a bigger group?) going the other way. We were really looking forward to that part of the trip! Does anyone have any news?
Thanks!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:43 PM

I have read about the tension between the two countries and the river/border problems.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Mawamba is probably being overly cautious, but I don't think it's just an excuse. Costa Rica and Nicaragua have been arguing over the Rio San Juan for about eight years. The river, which forms the border, belongs entirely to Nicaragua, but Costa Rican border patrols have insisted on carrying firearms while patrolling the border. Nicaragua says, no, you can navigate the river, but no weapons on our territory. That's what started the dispute in 1998. It also gets tied up in the matter of Costa Rica's enormous Nicaraguan immigrant population, and how they are treated here. Things have turned ugly this past year. Not that anyone is in any danger, but the verbal insults and hard feelings have gotten quite bad. Nicaragua has begun occasionally charging all passengers who navigate the river a fee, so that's probably why Mawamba is sending you via a different route. It's a shame, because that part of the trip is fascinating, but, no, I doubt they are changing things around to accommodate a bigger group.

It will still be a great trip. Enjoy.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you, when I spoke to the nicaraguan embassy in Italy a few days ago they seemed so relaxed, said we didn't need visas or anything that's why I thought it was a bit odd. Also being told at the last minute. oh well i hope they resolve their differences soon and peacefully. Flying tomorrow morning. I will post when we get back. Thanks again to all for advice.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:45 AM

I agree, check out the Tico Times online. They had a few articles about the tension, maybe a month ago.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:57 PM

We are also headed to Costa Rica shortly and were scheduled to take a day trip from Hermosa to Nicaragua with Vargas Tours on Jan. 18th - Ricardo emailed me to say that they are cancelling this tour due to conflict/tension between the two countries right now. So it sounds like many tour companies (not just Mawamba) are being cautious, but I guess it's better to be on the safe side...