Private Driver Recommendations?

Old Mar 25th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Private Driver Recommendations?

Hi everyone. I wanted to price out what private drivers would cost and compare it to renting a car. We recently got a quote from Tricolor that would be near $700 for 9 days which seems pretty steep to me (that does not include the $1,000+ charge on our credit card until we return the car). My fiance and I are flying into Liberia. The main legs we would need a driver for include: from the airport to the JW Marriott in Guanacaste, JW to Arenal Nayara and then from Arenal Nayara to Finca Rosa near San Jose. We are flying out of San Jose. I am reluctant to take the Interbus even though it's a great deal because I get very motion sick. Any recommendations on private drivers? Thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:06 AM

We contacted Leo Rodrigues [email protected] who comes highly recommended from several on this forum. He sent one of his other drivers, Don Carlos, who was just great, very informative. We only had him for one leg of our trip from San Jose to Savegre Mountain Lodge (San Gerardo de Dota) and cost was $140.

Drivers will make any stops along the way for snacks, lunch, ATM and will stay with the car.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 11:08 AM

We used Wilson Rojas on our last trip and plan to use him again on our upcoming trip. We've done both - rent a car and use a driver. Our first trip we rented a car and it was great. Second trip, we rented a car for most of the trip, but used a driver from Arenal to MA since the drive was long and we had our kids with us. This upcoming trip we're taking our parents and our kids so we'd have to get a larger vehicle and with everyone we figure less stress to have a driver. We're renting a car just in Arenal.

I highly recommend Wilson [email protected]

And as colibri mentioned the drivers make any stops you need along the way.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 11:09 AM

We use Carlos Bogarin www.destinos-encantados.com or [email protected]. Very nice and smart man. He got big points with us for waiting at the airport for hours for us when our flight was delayed, also brought pillows and blankets since we were traveling at night. Spotted toucans for us on another drive. We paid around $140 to go between SJO and Arenal. You can also book drivers through your hotels usually.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 06:11 AM

I second Wilson Rojas.We also plan to use him again next year. Great person,safe driver, speaks fleuent english and has very competitive prices.