Search

pregnant ! how r road conditions?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pregnant ! how r road conditions?

Hi,

I am planning a trip with my husband in the last week of March for 7-9 days. By then i will be just over 6 months pregnant. I have a couple of concerns/questions which i have not yet found answers for on the costa rica board. Appreciate all your replies.

1. We are from India, but live in the San Francisco area. We have driven in India and Europe and know how narrow and chaotic the roads are. Would you say, based on that, that driving in Costa Rica should not be too tough ? Do people drive on the right-hand side like in the US ? Alternatively, we don't mind renting a taxi for the entire trip, but would like to be private, not grouped with other people. Should we take a chance and drive ?

2. I am yet to check with my doctor on the advisability of going when i'm 6 mths pregnant. But on the assumption that he thinks it's ok, how are the road conditions? Compared to the US i think they might be more un-tarred and bumpy, with potholes, etc. Anyone know if that is likely to affect me adversely ?

3. I don't think i'm too concerned about malaria and other disease-risks, becoz people i know have travelled to India when they were in my condition, and India has the same risks. As long as i drink bottled mineral water and avoid raw foods i think i should be fine. Right ?

4. Can anyone think of anything else i should be concerned about ? I probably can't do the zip lines, but my husband should enjoy it, and it will be the motivation for me to make a second trip .

Thanks SO MUCH. I'm looking forward to hearing from all you wise and knowledgeable people.

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Bhavan, is this your fist pregnancy? Whether or not to travel in costa rica on the rough roads when you're 6 months pregnant is a personal decision. Personally, I wouldn't do it. I had 3 pregnancies, and by 6 months the baby is bigger and sometimes you might even be uncomfortable sitting in one position for too long, let alone driving over bumpy roads with pot-holes and rocks.

Ask your doctor what he thinks from a medical stand-point.

Happy motherhood to you!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Hi Bhavan,
My wife was a little over four months pregnant with our fourth when we went last spring. She has a bad history for delivering early so this was a great concern for us. During her previous pregnancy she was on total bed rest for the final four months. The doctor thought we were crazy but said she was doing fine and allowed us to go.
The roads are bumpy and curvy but I think the toughest thing was sitting for long time in one position. We made plenty of stops to alleviate this. From a mans point of view I think she did great and really enjoyed herself.

Six months is a little further along so you must make this decision for yourself. If you do decide to go make sure you tell everyone your pregnent to get some preferencial treatment which I think is well deserved. Last year at all the airports they gladly pushed my wife in a wheelchair or we rode on the golf cart things (along with our entire family of 14)through the airport, to the front of lines, and most importantly to the front of customs. LOL.
I hope all goes well and congradulations.
TRIP
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

thanks a lot folks. unfortunately, this being my first pregnancy and not having a clue of how it might feel on those roads, i really don't know how to decide. i guess i'll talk to my doctor first.

meanwhile, let me start thinking of alternative places to go to. Would travelling in Belize or any other south american or central american country be any better - in terms of road conditions or distances between places?

thanks again for the prompt responses.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:33 PM

Bhavan, being 6 months pregnant is a relatively uncomfortable situation. I think you'll be happiest going to a nice luxurious all-inclusive resort and staying put! Relax, be pampered. Also when you're 6 months pregnant you're better off staying someplace where there's excellent medical care available nearby, just in case you need it. There's 2 of you to care for now. You have a lot to be excited about.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:05 PM

bhavan,
Our daughter spent 2 months studying in Costa Rica this summer while pregnant. The worst problem was dealing with the nausea typical of the first trimester. She was in her fourth month when she rented a car in Heredia and drove herself to the Pacific coast for a weekend of pampering at the Paradisus Playa Conchal. By that time she was feeling much better!

I'm sure having been to Costa Rica several times in the past, knowing her way around, and having friends in the country were all helpful. By the time she was in her 6th month, she was involved in the fall semester of university life back here in the states, parking in a remote lot on campus every morning and walking her legs off with a backpack full of books. Baby is due is 2 weeks. She's doing great, has gained only 15 pounds (which I'm convinced is due to all the walking because she eats well). If she'd had a chance to go back at 6 months, she would have done it in a NY minute. Many of the roads are quite decent (yes, they drive on the "right" side of the road!) and there are plenty of places to stay where you can relax in luxury!

But do heed your doctor's advice. And, if you go, rest assured that medical care in Costa Rica is darned good.

The last week of March will be Holy Week in Costa Rica and there will be many travelers out and about--tourists as well as locals, who will also be on holiday and doing the beach thing.

One other thing--you asked what might bother you. At the beach, March will be extremely hot. That could cause some discomfort. In the central valley, the temps are nearly always in the upper seventies, and since it is higher, feels quite refreshing.

By the way, sorry for rambling off on the personal story--I guess that wasn't necessary at all!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks again for the new responses. Ok, before i rule out this trip completely, let me ensure one last time that i'm not giving up a good thing.

Are ALL of the roads to the popular spots of CR going to be bumpy and full of potholes ? If i selectively choose only those places that have tarred roads for the most part [if a small portion is rough it might still be bearable], which places would those be ? Can anyone help me figure that out ?

From what i've been reading, San Jose to Arenal is a fairly well-laid and well-maintained road. So also arenal to Manuel antonio. Am i right ? I think i read somewhere that Arenal to Monteverde is a bit of a rough ride.

Any other ideas of places with good roads within CR ?

thanks. i guess my heart is set on going, so i'm being persistent.

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:30 PM

Road conditions tend to change fairly quickly especially where the traffic is heavier or when it has rained more than usual, but San Jose to Arenal is USUALLY a decent road. Also San Jose to Manuel Antonio as you have mentioned. I would avoid the drive to Monteverde (although it is supposedly in the process of being paved). You could have a wonderful time with this itinerary or a similar one:

Days 1 and 2: Peace Lodge
Days 3 & 4: Arenal
Days 5-8: Manuel Antonio
Overnight near airport last night.

Also, since you mentioned it, one of the best roads we were on in October goes through Santa Ana, Cuidad Colon, and Puriscal. It was in excellent condition. I drove it at night (because I am familiar with it) and it was virtually pothole-less! There is a great little out of the way hotel on this road between Puriscal and San Pablo Turubares called La Finca Que Ama. It would be slightly out of the way, but not significantly. The drvie from Arenal to Manuel Antonio is about 6 hours. Overnight at La Finca would add an extra hour to the total driving time. An added bonus is that there are some very great places to stop and stretch your legs along the way. San Ramon, Santa Ana, etc. . .You would have to backtrack a little bit, but could break up your drive from Arenal to Manuel Antonio quite nicely and meet the young couple who own the hotel, Neta and Arbel, at the same time. Great place to relax for an afternoon and night before you drive on to Manuel Antonio.

That itinerary would look something like this:

Days 1-3: Arenal (you might need to stay near the airport that first night if you arrive later in the day--no problem, still plenty of time to enjoy Arenal)

Day 4: 4 hours to La Finca Que Ama, overnight there

Day 5: 3 hours to Manuel Antonio, overnight day 5, 6, 7, 8.

Day 8: Return to airport area.

Check out www.costaricafinca.com for more information of this hotel.

Also, you can e-mail: [email protected]

Neta and Arbel are a young Israeli couple who have traveled extensively and you and your husband would enjoy meeting them. And they do have a lovely hotel with wonderful amenities. Excellent food--some of the best we've had in the country.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks shillmac. armed with his info let me talk to my doc now .