Search

pop music in Brazil

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Joe

pop music in Brazil

What is the best popular Brazilian CD to buy to get into the mood for Rio.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:20 AM
jill

<BR>One of the artists that really captured the essence of Brazil and especially Ipanema was Antonio Carlos Jobim. I am sure that any recording of his will get you in the mood! Other great artists - Milton Nascimento, Chico Buarque, Caetano Veloso, Gal Costa, Beth Carvalho, Djavan, Ivan Lins - just to name a few.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Don

Im no expert on the most current popular Brazilian music right now but I do know that a fellow by the name of Roberto Carlos is popular now. All of the artists that Jill mentioned are the best and I love them all and are timeless especially Jobim who was popular in the 1960's as he is today.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Connie

What do the young people of Brazil buy and listen to today. I am more interetsed in today's Brazilian top 40 rather than 1960's music. Thanks

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 04:58 AM
jill

uhhh...excuse me, but the list of musicians in my previous post could hardly be categorized as "60s music". And for your information, young people in Brazil worship Jobim --- and still listen to Jobim, and sing jobim and dance to jobim. There is a different mentality in Brazil. There is less age-ism when it comes to music---and those musicians that I mentioned play music that is appreciated today just as much as years ago. If you have never listened to Djavan, or Milton, please, I suggest you try it.<BR>Although, if you are looking for more 'rock', 'rap' or 'metal' check out:<BR>Bar&atilde;o Vermelho, Picassos Falsos, Plebe Rude, Sepultura, Skank, Tit&atilde;s, Ultraje a Rigor, Cazuza, Gabriel o Pensador, Legi&atilde;o Urbana, Lulu Santos, Paralamas do Sucesso.<BR><BR>I particularly enjoyed Cazuza, unfortunately he passed away a while ago. (but he is appreciated as one of the great rock artists -especially for his lyrics.)<BR><BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 12:51 PM
Don

Wow Jill you have spunk, lets have lunch one day?